Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reported speech    

reported speech

tommy1996
Vietnam

reported speech

how can i change the sentence:

“Don’t touch the hot plate,” I said to Ann

I warned...........................................
 and tell me about what is diffenrences: warn of/ agianst/ off and warn sb to do sth?
thanks 

9 Jun 2016      

jamesmullard
United Kingdom

I would say "I warned Ann not to touch the hot plate" although there are a few other ways I could imagine writing this.

I am not sure what you are asking in the last part of this, could you rephrase your question?

9 Jun 2016     

tommy1996
Vietnam

how can we use verb "warn"?

9 Jun 2016     

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi!

I �ll try to explain the best possible way I can.
When we say "warn against" it usually means that we want someone to be cautious about something. I think, although I am not 100% sure that we use "warn against" for people.
When we say "warn someone (not) to do something", we mean that something can be dangerous. Again, I am not 100% sure but I think we use this structure for actions.
Maybe a native speaker can explain this better but I hope I may have helped if only a little. 

9 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

Georgina made a good start. We don �t use "warn against" with people, but we do use "warn about" with people, actions (gerund form) and objects.

To warn of is to give information about negative consequences of something: It needs some negative word (in this case "dangers") after it.
My father warned me of the dangers of marriage. 

To warn against and warn about are the same, but it doesn �t need the negative word.
The surgeon general of the United States warns us against/about smoking.  (You could also say "...warns us against the dangers of smoking")

To warn a person is followed by an infinitive, and usually "not" or an appropriate verb that doesn �t need "not".
I warned you not to drive with your eyes closed.
Her mother warned her to be wary of that man.

I don �t think we use "warn off".

Bruce 

9 Jun 2016     

09schoro
Austria

I would say:

I told Ann not to touch the hot plate.

9 Jun 2016     

Apodo
Australia

We use to warn off. 

The men were about to walk through the property, but the owner warned them off.
The young boys were lurking near the shopping centre entrance so the security guard warned them off.
He was going to buy that car, but someone who knew its history warned him off. 

I warned her against travelling alone.
I warned him about the dog in the yard. 
I warned him of the danger of riding his bike without a helmet. 

10 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Apodo. I was thinking of "warn off" with an object, but we use "warn off" that way, too.

Bruce 

10 Jun 2016