Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sentences    

sentences

yanogator
United States

But, Mary, Pedro �s examples have a beginning and ending for each sentence that have to be used, as well as the given word in its given form.

Bruce 

29 Jun 2016     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Wow! Thanks a million all of you for helping my student and me. He �s sitiing his exam tomorrow. Hope he sails through it. I �ll let you know as soon as the results get published. Can you again help me out with the last  bunch of sentences?
1. It �s already 9 pm and I don �t think there �s anyone at home.   OUT  It �s 9 pm so they ...earlier in the evening. ???
2. Emma says they �ll be going out only of Pete �s condition improves.  UNLESS  Emma has refused to ..... better.  (I can �t think of a correct answer only using between tow to five words! Apart from that, the beginning of the second sentence makes it impossible to rephrase it and keep the same meaning of the given sentence.)
3. Do you think you could help me with the cooking tomorrow?  HAND  Will you be able...to give / lend me a hand ... with the cooking tomorrow?
4. Why water the garden if it �s going to rain? POINT If it �s going to rain, is ... there any point in watering ... the garden?
5. "It �s getting late so I think I ought to go now", said Mr. Healey.  BE  "It �s getting late so I really ... ", said Mr. Healey.  ???
6. There probably won �t be another train to Oxford tonight.  UNLIKELY  It ... is unlikely to ... be another train to Oxford tonight.
7. My teacher says it �s alright to use the internet when I do my homework.  WRONG  My teacher says there �s ... nothing wrong with / about using ... the internet when I do my homework. (Are both prepositions correct? I always use "with" but my student has used "about")
8. I �ve always wanted a brother or sister.  WISH  I really ... wish I had ... a brother or sister.
9. Paul will translate the article into English for us.  GET  We ... will get Paul to translate .. the article into English.
10. People say too much sun can damage the skin.  SUPPOSED  Too much sun ... is supposed to be ... bad for the skin.
11. It is forbidden to park here.  NOT  Parking ... is not allowed / permitted ... here. 
12. Mary and Jane are very good friends.  ON  Mary and Jane ... get on (well) ... together. (Is it necessary to use "well"?. As far as I �m concerned, the positive meaning is already implicit in the phrasal verb) 
13. I don �t know why Anne got so upset.  MADE  I don �t know ... what made Anne get ... so upset. 

30 Jun 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

1. It ´s already 9 pm and I don ´t think there ´s anyone at home. OUT It ´s 9 pm so they ...earlier in the evening. ???

It ´s 9 pm so they must have gone out earlier in the evening. 

2. Emma says they ´ll be going out only of Pete ´s condition improves. UNLESS Emma has refused to ..... better. (I can ´t think of a correct answer only using between tow to five words! Apart from that, the beginning of the second sentence makes it impossible to rephrase it and keep the same meaning of the given sentence.)

I think you meant " only if Pete ´s condition"  then you might get something like this

Emma has refused to go out with Pete unless his condition gets better

3. Do you think you could help me with the cooking tomorrow? HAND Will you be able...to give / lend me a hand ... with the cooking tomorrow?

OK

4. Why water the garden if it ´s going to rain? POINT If it ´s going to rain, is ... there any point in watering ... the garden?

OK

5. "It ´s getting late so I think I ought to go now", said Mr. Healey. BE "It ´s getting late so I really ... ", said Mr. Healey. ???

I really must be off

6. There probably won ´t be another train to Oxford tonight. UNLIKELY It ... is unlikely to ... be another train to Oxford tonight.
 Well, that �s weird ... The only thing that came to my mind is "It �s unlikely that there will  be another train ...."

7. My teacher says it ´s alright to use the internet when I do my homework. WRONG My teacher says there ´s ... nothing wrong with / about using ... the internet when I do my homework. (Are both prepositions correct? I always use "with" but my student has used "about")

OK

8. I ´ve always wanted a brother or sister. WISH I really ... wish I had ... a brother or sister.

OK

9. Paul will translate the article into English for us. GET We ... will get Paul to translate .. the article into English.

Ok

10. People say too much sun can damage the skin. SUPPOSED Too much sun ... is supposed to be ... bad for the skin.

Ok

11. It is forbidden to park here. NOT Parking ... is not allowed / permitted ... here.

OK

12. Mary and Jane are very good friends. ON Mary and Jane ... get on (well) ... together. (Is it necessary to use "well"?. As far as I ´m concerned, the positive meaning is already implicit in the phrasal verb)

Mary and Jane are getting on well (with each other)... Yes, well should be there, IMHO... 

13. I don ´t know why Anne got so upset. MADE I don ´t know ... what made Anne get ... so upset.

OK

30 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

#2. Emma refuses to go out unless Pete �s condition gets better.

#5. Giorgi �s answer is good. Another possibility is "It �s getting late, so I really need to be going" said Mr. Healey"

Giorgi is right on #6. 

#13. Another possibility is "I don �t know what made Anne so upset". 

Bruce 

30 Jun 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Even throughout the last lesson questions have arosen. I gave my student my best answers and I can �t contact him before the exam, so it �s just curiosity and self-improvement what I �m looking for by posting these last sentences. I really appreciate your help.
1. I �m not sure he has been  completely honest about the exam.  TRUTH  I don �t think he ... has spoken / told the truth ... about the exam.
2. Despite all their efforts, they failed the test.   TRIED  They didn �t pass the test ... although / even though they tried ... very hard. (my student wanted to use the past perfect tense instead of the past simple. would "had tried" be correct?)
3. My mother wouldn �t let me go out until I had done my homework.  ME  My mother ... made me do ... my homework before I could go out.
4. No one in our class runs as fast as Peter.  THE  Peter ... runs the fastest ... in our class.
5. The notice in the zoo says "Please do not feed the animals."  ASKED  Visitors ... are asked not to feed ... the animals.
6. The boss wanted to know what had happened.   INSISTED  The boss...insisted on knowing ... what had happened.
7. You must do exactly as I say.  OUT  You must ... carry out ... to the letter.  (I feel something else should be added, but don �t know what it is.)
8. The pupils haven �t received their exam results yet.   STILL  The pupils are ... still waiting for ... their exam results.
9. She asked her friends if they wanted to buy any other things.  ELSE  She asked her friends if there ... was anything else ... they wanted to buy. ( My students asked me whether "something" could be used instead of "anything". I told him he could but there was a slight difference though. Would you accept "something" correct in an exam?)
10. I asked about the price of tickets for the football match.  MUCH  I asked .. how much the tickets cost ... to get into the football match. (My students wrote "costs", which I told him was not correct. Am I right??) 

30 Jun 2016     

yanogator
United States

#2. You are correct. The past perfect is correct, but very formal.

#7. You must carry out my instructions to the letter. 

#9. It must be "anything" because of "any" in the original. Otherwise, "something" is correct, but with a slightly different meaning, as you said.

#10. Tickets costs? Definitely not.
You are right on the others.

Bruce 

30 Jun 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Sending  good wishes for your student. Hope s/he does well in the exam!

1 Jul 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you very much redcamarocruiser, he will be sitting his exam in half an hour. I also hope he aces his exam because he has pulled his socks up and worked really hard. I �ll keep you all informed about his results. Thanks again for your time and help and hope you all have a happy and pleasant weekend!

1 Jul 2016     

< Previous   1    2