Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The "AP" in secondary schools     

The "AP" in secondary schools

domif
France

The "AP" in secondary schools

Dear French Colleagues

Do you do what we call " AP" in our French schools ? What do you do ? Could you share some ideas or other documents, except the official ones ? I �m just becoming crazy with that !!!! 

Thanks so much

Have a nice day 

22 Sep 2016      

mohamednadee
India

Line "Did you see that?" Joe said to his friend Bill. "You �re a great shooter!" Bill caught the basketball and bounced it before throwing it again. The ball flew into the net. "Bill, you never miss!" Joe said admiringly.5"Unless I �m in a real game," Bill complained. "Then I miss all the time." Joe knew that Bill was right. Bill performed much better when he was having fun with Joe in the school yard than he did when he was playing for the school team in front of a large crowd. "Maybe you just need to practice more," Joe suggested.10"But I practice all the time with you!" Bill objected. He shook his head. "I just can �t play well when people are watching me." "You play well when I �m watching," Joe pointed out. "That �s because I �ve known you since we were five years old," Bill said with a smile. "I �m just not comfortable playing when other people are around."15Joe nodded and understood, but he also had an idea. The next day Joe and Bill met in the school yard again to practice. After a few minutes, Joe excused himself. "Practice without me," Joe said to his friend. "I �ll be back in a minute." Joe hurried through the school building, gathering together whomever he could find—two20students, a math teacher, two secretaries, and a janitor. When Joe explained why he needed them, everyone was happy to help. Joe reminded the group to stay quiet as they all went toward the school �s basketball court. As Joe25had hoped, Bill was still practicing basketball. He made five baskets in a row without noticing the silent people standing behind him. "Hey, Bill!" Joe called out finally. Bill turned. A look of surprise came over his<30face. "I just wanted to show you that you could play well with people watching you," Joe said. "Now you �ll have nothing to worry about for the next game!"

5. What would be the best title for the story?

1. Joe Joins the Team
  2. Practice Makes Perfect
  3. Bill Wins the Big Game
  4. Bill �s Basketball Problem

6. In line 6, the word performed is closest in meaning to _______.

1. acted
  2. played
  3. moved
  4. changed

7. Why is Bill upset?

1. He plays better in practice than he does during games.
  2. The school yard is not a good place to practice.
  3. Joe watches him too closely when he plays.
  4. His team loses too many games.

8. Why does Bill play well when Joe is watching him?

1. He is comfortable with Joe.
  2. Joe tells him how to play better.
  3. He does not know that Joe is there.
  4. He wants to prove to Joe that he is a good player.

9. Why does Joe decide to gather a group of people?

1. Because he wants more players for his team
  2. Because he wants to help Bill feel less nervous
  3. Because he wants to show them his talent
  4. Because he wants more people to see the next game

10. At the end of the story, all of the following people watch Bill practice EXCEPT_______.

1. Joe
  2. a janitor
  3. a math teacher
  4. the basketball coach

11. Why does the group have to be quiet when they go to the basketball court?

1. Because Joe is telling Bill what to do
  2. Because they do not want Bill to know they were there
  3. Because Bill likes to practice alone
  4. Because the group needs to listen to Joe’s instructions

22 Sep 2016     

spied-d-aignel
France

hi Domif,  we are happy in our school not to do AP  ,as  we just sort of include it in our lessons as �M�thodologie " apprendre � apprendre......, but we DO HAVE EPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!See what  I mean. Bon courage!!!!!!

Sylvie!:))

23 Sep 2016     

flo37
France

I usually start with how to use a dictionary (looking for words in French, or expression) and then the same with English idioms, expressions.... I also work on prefix or suffix and on compound nouns.

23 Sep 2016     

67Englishteacher
France

Hi Domif and the other fellow French teachers

I �m glad you started this thread and I hope many people will join in. 

In my school, AP in 5è was supposed to be part of the normal lessons, so we were happy to see our pupils half an hour more and be able to take the time to think about learning methods.
But when we got our timetables on back-to-school day, we found out the class would be split into two groups and that we �d see each group every other week. So it �s sort of impossible to do sth that is directly linked with the current lessons taught the rest of the week! And we �ll have to tell our headmistress what we �ve done...

So far, I �ve done :
-"how to learn vocabulary" : the pupils talked about their own experiences and they tested their method on a list of words to identify which words were easy (transparent words, etc) and which were more difficult and why. Then I gave them my own advice
- "how to write a more complex text" (adding adj, using relative clauses, etc.) They had to compare two versions of the "same" text and then write a complex text in turn. I did this session with my advanced class but I don �t dare to do that with my weaker class, the ones I �ll meet on Monday at 8am. I haven �t decided on what I �ll do yet !!!

My ideas in general for the moment are :
-how to use a dictionary
-why not use "google translate" (or how to use it sensibly)
-some notions of grapho-phonemics
-improving the pronunciation: working on commonly mispronounced words, some stress-imposing endings, silent letters...
-how to analyse instructions for a written assignment so as to make the proper choices (formal letter or letter to a friend?)

It all sounds interesting to me, but nothing is ready as it wasn �t supposed to be like that :(
And we have EPI, too... No wonder I �m already exhausted, even if the EPIs haven �t started for us yet !!!!!

Fingers crossed more people will share their ideas.

Have a nice WE all the same !!!

23 Sep 2016     

mfraczek
France

Hello Domif and other French teachers,

I think we are all very worried about this AP. A maths teacher in my school worked on the time we had to spend on it: 30 minutes a week in 6° and 15 minutes in 5°, 4° and 3°.
Our inspector told us that there were no great changes with this reform: we have always tried to help our pupils. The only thing that �s different is that we have to note down in our record book that it is AP. 
So far, I �ve spent time helping my beginners learn their lessons and I �ve done remedial exercises with my 3° and  worked on how to write a picture description. 
It means that I �ve spent more time than I was supposed to. Does it really matter?  I don �t think we have to do AP each week, but when we feel the need for it, that is when our pupils are stuck with something.  
Hope it helps.
Murielle 

24 Sep 2016     

karagozian
France

Do what you like !

Do how you feel it best !

But post how they like and feel !

24 Sep 2016     

mistick
France

It �s not necessary to drive you crazy with that. Just do what you �ve always been doing: Help your pupils when they need it.

In my school AP is included in the lessons so we rather do methodology like �How to learn a lesson? / to use a dictionary?/ Understand instructions etc........ �

Any time I start working on a �compétence � I give them some tips to improve it.

24 Sep 2016     

domif
France

Thanks a lot for your feedback! All of them are interesting but it �s a bit different in our school! 

In 6è they have AP 1h a week . In 5è and 4è it �s the same.
 I have 7 hours of AP in English, and my english colleagues have 6,5 or 4 hours!!! They are not part of the "normal lessons": 2 normal lessons and  1 AP/WEEK !

So, in 6è we are going to do some methodology during the first lessons
Then we have decided to focus on listening and speaking skills 
After having done some reviews during september, we are assessing our students in order to split them into 3 groups according to their needs.

After Methodology Our project is to work on listening skills >>> speaking skills: Different approaches , learning methods, according to the pupils � difficulties and needs.

We �ll do the same in 5è and 4è 

So, we need to work together, to make or collect a lot of resources !! That �s a lot work!

And I also have 2 EPI , one in 5è and one in 4è !!!!!!!!!!!

1 Oct 2016