Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ornaments or decoration    

ornaments or decoration

apayala
Spain

ornaments or decoration

Hi,

I doubt which one is the correct one for this picture:

Christmas ornaments candles

or

Christmas decoration candles

I think ornaments is used for the balls but I am not sure if it also applies to candles

Thanks for helping and Happy Christmas to everybody!

Ana

28 Nov 2016      

yanogator
United States

Ornaments don �t have to be balls, but they do hang. These are Christmas decoration candles, or decorative candles.

Now, about your use of the word "doubt". Many non-natives use that word incorrectly. To doubt is not to believe that something is true, rather than to be unsure of something.
I doubt that you used the word "doubt" correctly.
I doubt that all of the students will score 100% on the test.

You could say "I am uncertain/unsure which word is the correct one for this picture."

Bruce 

28 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

thanks a million, Bruce! For both explanations  From now on I will use the word "doubt" correctly. Excellent explanation!
Happy Christmas and thanks again!
Ana

28 Nov 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Bruce. I will add that ornaments have a more permanent status than decorations, which tend to be linked to a celebration or event.
Edit: What are these hanging balls? Do you guys mean baubles? I would call them �decorations�. 

28 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

Thanks a lot, cunliffe! 

Regards,

Ana

28 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Lynne, baubles in the UK, balls (or ornaments) in the US. In the US, at least, we call them Christmas tree ornaments, so they aren �t so permanent.

Bruce 

28 Nov 2016     

Jayho
Australia

In my neck of the woods these would be called ornamental candles or Christmas candle ornaments.

When it �s time to put up some Chrissy decorations, we decorate our homes and Christmas tree with ornaments such as balls/baubles, tinsel and other festive ornaments/decorations.

Cheers

Jayho

28 Nov 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Where I �m from ornaments don �t have to �hang � and, as a noun, ornament is more likely to be used for non hanging items.

You �decorate � a Christmas tree, not �ornament � it, so we use �decorations � to decorate the tree.

Ornaments are more likely to be free standing (e.g. a nativity scene using ornamental figurines)

So, I �d call them just Christmas candles or Christmas candle ornaments.
And to be even more confusing, they could be considered part of the overall Christmas decorations used to decorate your home!

Cheers,
AB 

28 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

Oh my God! Which should I choose now?

29 Nov 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Are the students learning American or British English?

If American, follow Bruce. 
AN easy solution would be to to call them �ornamental Christmas candles �, as this would suit most Englishes, I expect.

Good luck, apayala!
 AB 

29 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

They are learning British English. Ornamental Christmas candles could be a good solution, thank you Alien Boy! Regards, Ana

29 Nov 2016     

1    2    Next >