Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Researches    

Researches

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Researches

Dearcolleagues,

I would like native speakers to comment on the following example:

....most argue that many more researches need to be done first.

What bothers me is the plural form of the noun research. Here is the entry from Cambridge Dictionary:

noun [ U ]

UK /rɪˈsɜːtʃ/ /ˈriː.sɜːtʃ/ US /ˈriː.sɝːtʃ/ /rɪˈsɝːtʃ/ uk also¸researches [ plural ]

i have never come across the plural form so far, therefore I wonder how common it is. Does anyone really use it or is it only something you see in a dictionary.

Thank you for your answers. 

2 Dec 2016      

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, I �ll go to the foot of our stairs! I always thought it was an American thing to say research in the plural. According to your post, it would appear we Brits are the culprits. I have to say, I would avoid it like the plague. I tend to think of the word as uncountable. I hereby apologise on behalf of all British people for using this word in a plural form. I �m now off to stand in the corner with my head hung in shame. 

2 Dec 2016     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

I didn �t want to hurt your feelings. Sorry.

2 Dec 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Definitely not common, and in my neck of the woods most NSs would consider it incorrect in today�s usage despite what the dictionaries say.

For an entertaining read on this same topic, click on http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/research-or-researches.727033/

Cheers

Jayho

2 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

Well, Spinney, maybe you won �t be so judgmental of us over here in the future. No, "researches" isn �t common in the US, either.

I find it strange that the Cambridge Dictionary thinks that we here in the US don �t pronounce the r in the middle of the word.

Bruce 

2 Dec 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

While its usage as a count noun is not particularly prevalent in BrEng, I have to admit to seeing it once or twice over the years � and not just in the essays of NNS students. 

To give you an idea of how it is, or has been, used as a count noun and how it compares with its use as a mass noun, here�s an extract from the mighty Oxford English Dictionary (bear in mind it�s an historical dictionary).

3 Dec 2016     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you for your comments. English is not so easy after all.😞

3 Dec 2016     

KathrynBrooks1
United States

I �ve never heard research used in the plural, nor have I ever heard it pronounced without the r. I �ve never heard anyone call English an easy language! 😀

3 Dec 2016     

FranDurbin
United States

As an American, I disagree, NOT an American use. I have never heard/read "research" pluralized.

4 Dec 2016