Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´is ´ or ´are ´?    

´is ´ or ´are ´?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@almaz, I ´m surprised by this as I would say ´Queen is a great band. ´ 

12 Dec 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Of course you would...

Smile

12 Dec 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Me and my colleagues... 

12 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

Alex,
I would say "The Greatful Dead is a band" 

Bruce 

12 Dec 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Bruce. We tend to talk of the collective "dead" in the plural (the dead are dead, rather than the dead is dead), but it´s interesting that in the link I gave above to the band´s Wikipedia entry, you´ll find both singular and plural agreement with the name throughout (The Grateful Dead was...","The Dead were not inclined to...", "The Dead were known for..."). But, again, this shouldn´t be too surprising given the collaborative nature of that particular encyclopedia. I imagine there are many non-American (or, rather, Brit-influenced) Deadhead editors involved there and that would perhaps explain the lack of consistency.

Alex 

12 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Alex, ´The Greatful Dead are..." makes more sense, but I ´ve never thought of their name as collective, although it clearly is.

Bruce 

12 Dec 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is definitely an English vs American thing. We (Brits) are much more likely than Americans to go for the plural agreement. So ´the Grateful Dead is a whatever band ´ is fine, of course, but you are probably American if you say that. 

14 Dec 2016     

< Previous   1    2