Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Subjects in British schools    

Subjects in British schools

nathalie891
France

Subjects in British schools

Hi there!

I �m working with my year 7 pupils on timetables in British schools, and I �m not sure how to explain some subjects to my pupils.
Could some British people explain to me what "Art and Design" is? How is it different from just�Art?�
�I �m not sure either what Design Technology is?�
And what about "Religious Education" or "Religious Studies"? Does it exist in all school and what�is taught�to the pupils in this class?
Finally what�does "Home Economics" consist in?�
Thank you if you can help me!
Nathalie�

18 Jan 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Nathalie, Home economics is cookery and is now called Food Technology as it comes under the Technology umbrella. Design Technology (DT) is metal work and designing things. INformation Technology (IT) is computer studies. Some schools have Art and some have Art and Design, though the usual is Art as a separate subject. RE is the usual term and that is what the GCSE is called. I think Religious Studies would be used if it �s a non-exam lesson. RI (instruction) is a more old fashioned term. Don �t forget PHSCE! That is on all students � timetables usually once a week. (personal health social citizenship eductaion). IF you get onto the TES (Times Educational Supplement) site, they have got resources under every subject. HAve a look ta that. I would inlcude the link but I only have tiny tablet at the moment.

19 Jan 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Is this the link?  https://www.tes.com/

19 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

THanks Mary. THen go onto resources and then secondary and there is the subject list.

19 Jan 2017     

almaz
United Kingdom

I�d like to point out (again!) that there�s no single British education system. I�m not as familiar with the situation in England and Wales as I am with the Scottish system, but I believe we have a much broader range of core subjects � theoretically � to choose from, especially in the early years of secondary school. RE is usually timetabled in non-denominational schools as RME (Religious and Moral Education) or even RMPS (Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies). As far as Home Economics is concerned, although the name is retained here, it long ago cast off its traditional gender stereotype as something less-academically inclined girls were encouraged to do (boys would do woodwork or something similarly manly) and now encompasses, among other things, health and food technology, hospitality and catering, as well as cookery skills.

Here�s some background information, with relevant links, from the British Council on the different systems in the UK:

20 Jan 2017     

nathalie891
France

Thank you all for these details, and thank you for both links you provided, very useful!

Have a nice weekend!

Nathalie�

20 Jan 2017     

FrauSue
France

Home economics (HE) used to also include sewing, although nowadays sewing tends to be part of Design and Technology, whereas cookery and nutrition come under Food Tech.

21 Jan 2017