Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with grammar    

Help with grammar

Jayho
Australia

HaHa Almaz, that�s exactly how much of the population would express it!  The original example is way too polite for someone who�s left the box on. But then, who would do that these days?  The  younger generation seem to all be watching Netflix on their own device, in their bedroom, with the door closed. Big screens are no longer necessary like they once were.

19 Feb 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Bruce, the original poster did not provide any context at all to make us sure whether the sentence, or the if clause to be more precise, is something a person is actually doing or it is a hypothetical if clause aka the second conditional. There �s no clue at all and no context whatsoever ... It is just a piece of a grammar test that you often see in various text books- just one single sentence. �So, given no context to make us absolutely sure that we are dealing with a request (no matter it is a polite request with �would � or an ordinary or even a discourteous request - whch has also been suggested by a poster here) �it would be safe to assume that both options are possible. Giorgi

19 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Giorgi is right about this. There is no context provided, so both sentences are fine. Imagine this: (We need to save energy). If you weren �t watching the TV, would you turn it off?
And how right he is about grammar tests! 

19 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

Giorgi, what I was saying is that the hypothetical sentence you proposed (If you were not watching the television, would you turn it off?) is grammatically correct, but isn �t something we would say. Thinking more about it, I guess it could happen in a specific situation. If a personality quiz were being conducted, and this question were posed to determine how considerate the person is in specific household situations, I guess it might ask "If you were not watching the television, would you turn it off?". However, I can �t see this particular sentence being used in a regular situation.

But, for us, one important thing is whether we would accept it if a student gave it as the answer on a test. Since it is grammatically correct, then of course.

Bruce 

19 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Totally agree that no context is provided, and therefore both answers would be grammatically correct. However, the hypothetical is not at all natural, in my humble opinion, whereas the given example is natural.

19 Feb 2017     

< Previous   1    2