Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me with grammar!    

Help me with grammar!

FrauSue
France

Your example of "should" is in the context of advice (present tense) rather than regret (past tense).

So how about: We were advised to take plenty of food to school / We had to take plenty of food to school / We were supposed to take plenty of food to school.

In my opinion, "had to" is the only option which effectively conveys that you definitely did take the food; the other two could suggest regret (in the same way as "should have taken").

Imagine a doctor telling his patient, "You really should stop smoking." The patient then talks about it to a friend and says, "I had to stop smoking on the doctor �s orders." 

21 Feb 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

So, we �ve seen that �should � doesn �t work to get the meaning you want; it expresses something different. �Shoulded � might have worked if it had existed. 

22 Feb 2017     

< Previous   1    2