Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Think global, act local    

Think global, act local

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Think global, act local

Dear colleagues,

I would like to hear your opinion about the phrase:

Think global, act local.

Gramatically, the phrase is wrong as adverbs should be used after verbs instead of adjectives. Wikipedia gives the phrase as an alternative to Think globally, act locally. Would you use it as a title of an international project? If so, how would you write it (would you use inverted commas)?

I would appreciate your opinion as native or non-native speakers.

Thank you. 

30 Mar 2017      

yanogator
United States

The correct form, "Think globally, act locally", is far more common. I also think it is easier to understand (maybe because it is correct).

Think Globally, Act Locally has probably been used many times as a title, and I think it makes a good title. I wouldn �t use quotation marks (That �s what we call "inverted commas" in the US), because you �re using it as your own statement, rather than acknowledging that it isn �t original with you. Also, if you used quotation marks, it would somewhat imply that the project is about the phrase itself, rather than about the idea it expresses.

Bruce 

30 Mar 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I like it because it �s short and punchy.  
I don�t think slogans have to be grammatically perfect, do they? How they sound and the impact they have is more important. Think of Apple�s �Think different�. If you go with �Think global, act local� it�s more or less implied that it�s like this: Think �global�; act �local�. 
Just my two penn�orth.

30 Mar 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Zvonka Rink,

Think Globally, Act Locally!            ü

I like it.

Les Douglas 

30 Mar 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"Think global, act local" sounds best also to me for the reason that Lynne gave; it is short and sweet whereas "Think globally, act locally" is a mouthful.  Think global to me is short for think global ______ where the blank can be filled in with a noun. For example, Think global commerce, act local to you/your commerce area.  

30 Mar 2017     

fleis060
Germany

I have always heard �Think globally, act locally. � I �ve never heard the other, so for me the more correct version just sounds better! 

30 Mar 2017     

douglas
United States

Wikipedia acknowledges both.

Even though I believe "...globally" is more grammatically correct, I also prefer the shorter form for the same reasons as Cunliffe and Redcamaro give. 

With slogans you �re allowed to break the rules.

Cheers,
Douglas

31 Mar 2017     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Grammatically wrong, but allowed as a slogan. Thank you all.

2 Apr 2017