Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Reported Speech     

Reported Speech

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Reported Speech

Good day fellow teachers, I have a question about changing �come � to �go � in reported speech. Is it a rule that should be permanently followed? For example, in the question: She said to me, "Come and eat with me." Should we use go instead of come when reporting the sentence? Thanks a lot.

15 Apr 2017      

yanogator
United States

Not really a rule, but it is generally correct. "Come" and "go" are like "bring" and "take"; they depend on the relative location of the speaker and hearer.

When she said, "Come and eat with me", she was saying "come to where I am". When you report that, you aren �t where she is, so you use "go", as in "She said that we should go and eat with her" or "She invited us to go and eat with her". We use "go" because we aren �t where she is; we have to go there.

It would also be correct to use "come" because we are reporting what she said: "She said that we should come and eat with her" or "She invited us to come and eat with her".

This is difficult to teach, because both options are correct and commonly used, at least in the US. Maybe the British are firmer about it. The choice would be based on which is more important, the invitation (in which case you would use "come") or the action (in which case you would use "go").

Bruce 

15 Apr 2017     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Excellent answer. Thanks a million, Bruce.

15 Apr 2017     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Bruce, I have to thank you for your prompt, perfect answers whenever people need help. You are a very valuable member of this community.

17 Apr 2017     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

I totally agree with you, Yolandaprieto.

18 Apr 2017     

Sweetooth**
Spain

Hi, 

I am sorry but I am new  and I don �t even know  how to post a thread in this page 

I wonder if someone could help me with reported speech. I would like to teach contrastive stress in reported speech if possible related to the issue of bullying or emotions...

I can �t find anything! I �d really appreciate your help

Thanks 

16 Oct 2017