Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Articles    

Articles

aydin1362
Iran

Articles

Hello dear colleagues,

How will you complete the following blanks, and why?
Use a/an/ -

There is ...grilled chicken special and ....Italian pasta on the menu. 

Thanks in advance.

30 May 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In this instance, I would put �a � with the special, as it is one special. So, there is a grilled chicken special and Italian pasta...
On second thoughts, if there is only one special of the day and also Italian pasta, it should be �the�. So, �there is the grilled chicken special and Italian pasta.� 

31 May 2017     

yanogator
United States

I would say that both of Lynne �s options are correct, depending on the situation. If you asked the server what �s good today, he or she might say "There is the grilled chicken special and Italian pasta". If you �re talking to your spouse about what your picky-eater child might like at this restaurant, you might say "There �s a grilled chicken special and Italian pasta on the menu".

Using "the" in this situation would be the better general answer, as Lynne said.

Bruce 

31 May 2017     

Jayho
Australia

The OP only gave the options of a,  an  or zero article, and not the, so I think the purpose of the question is to determine which indefinite article should be used, based on the rules for indefinite articles, or whether in fact it could be zero article.

In my opinion, these are the options that fit using the OP�s options available (but I do agree with the above suggestions)

There is a grilled chicken special and an Italian pasta on the menu 
(meaning just one Italian pasta dish) 

There is a grilled chicken special and Italian pasta on the menu 
(for the purpose of the exercise, meaning more than one Italian pasta dish available, but it might also mean just one pasta dish [parallelism?]) 

Cheers

Jayho 

31 May 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep Jayho, good point.

1 Jun 2017     

bouy0907
Canada

Hi,
I would put "a" for the first and "an" for the second, because the subject is the menu. Normally, in the menu, the meals are introduced by an indefinite article. the client does not see (indefinite) the wanted dish.

1 Jun 2017