Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Activities for Teaching the Simple Past    

Activities for Teaching the Simple Past

glutenfree
Poland

Activities for Teaching the Simple Past

Lead in stage: Where was I yesterday?

27 Jun 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Boy, does that teacher work hard! I liked the activities, but am surprised it was a revision for past simple - the basic place names seemed to be new to the students. I liked her hair and I want mine like that! 

What I do, with younger students, 11-16, to introduce the past simple.
Have a pile of action cards, I make my own but some nice ones here. or just write down instructions. 
First, I choose 5 regular verbs and give them to a volunteer as instructions. e.g. open the door, switch the light on, walk to the window, water my plant (pretend!) look out the door... The volunteer has to do all these actions, then I ask the rest of the class to use... First, second, third, fourth, fifth OR First, then, next, after that, finally. In pairs, they have to remember the actions and the order they were performed in. During the feedback, we tell it in the past simple and I point out the pattern. We add �ed �. I ask for another volunteer, with 5 more actions (all hands are up!) and we do it again. I include �climb on your desk, jump off your desk.. and a few more fun things. This can be continued in small groups, or pairs. I got this idea from the wonderful Jim Scrivener. 

Thanks for sharing this clip!  

28 Jun 2017