Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Grammar book recommendaton?    

Grammar book recommendaton?

yanogator
United States

Grammar book recommendaton?

Hi, Friends,
After being away from teaching ESL for 9 years, I have a wonderful opportunity. In December, a former student from Brazil is coming to stay with me for two months to improve his English, so he can improve his chances of getting a job. (He �s going to pay me quite well for my services, but it will still be less than half the cost of the ESL company I used to work for, so he �s getting a definite deal). I have many activities planned for our time together, and formal lessons will be a big part of that. I would like to use a textbook to help focus the grammar training, and I am looking for recommendations. His level is fairly high, so I don �t need anything for beginners.
Thanks for your help.
Bruce 

6 Sep 2017      

solangepmb
Brazil

https://www.amazon.com/Focus-Grammar-Level-5-4th/dp/0132546507/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504719922&sr=8-2&keywords=focus+on+grammar+5

Do you know this material? 

6 Sep 2017     

joannajs
Poland

If you are looking for a book with a purely grammar focus (with exercises) I �d recommend English Grammar in Use by Murphy (intermediate+ level) or Advanced Grammar in Use by Hewings. I like the layout where on the left hand side they explain the actual grammar chunk and on the right there are adequate exercises. If the level is higher (C1/C2) you might go for Grammar and Vocabulary For CAE and CPE by Side and Wellman. I have it in an electronic version too, email me if you want it. This one as the title promises covers both quite advanced grammar and vocab. Best of luck, joanna  

6 Sep 2017     

yanogator
United States

Thank you for the recommendations, friends.

Bruce   

7 Sep 2017     

MoodyMoody
United States

I don �t think you can go wrong with Understanding and Using English Grammar, by Betty Azar (later editions include Stacy Hagan as a co-author). The third edition is only $6.09 US on Amazon; admittedly, 3e was published in 2000.

7 Sep 2017     

Sunshinenikki
Japan

Bruce,

I recommend Side by Side. Book 1-2-3 by Pearson/Longman. Great exercises and I created a dialogue after the exercises.
You can buy new or used books on Amazon .
I hope these books will help your student...
Good luck.
Nikki 

9 Sep 2017     

worklifeenglish
United States

Hi Bruce, Work/Life English offers fun and practical ESL workbooks for all levels of students, teaching them about grammar, spelling, reading, writing, and more. Each book includes engaging real-world examples to help students learn more about the English language and culture. Hope this helps!

5 Jul 2022