Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Speak into the Mic    

Speak into the Mic

cbenglish
United States

Speak into the Mic

Hey Everyone! 
Just wanted to share a tip here for helping students speak more in class and practice using target language for a specific lesson. One day while I was teaching I used my hand as a microphone to help a shy student speak. It really worked and since then I have created colorful paper microphones that I cut out, laminate, and attach to the end of a flyswatter with velcro (which I use for other activities as well).  I initially used the microphones with my 3 to 5 year old learners, but I have found they work with all age students. Hope this can be a useful idea for you in your classroom.

What do you use to help students speak more in class?

Colorful Microphones Here 

27 Sep 2017      

pisiflor
Spain

What a fun-tastic idea!!! THANKS!!!

28 Sep 2017     

MarionG
Netherlands

It is also a nice tool to remind kids they can only speak when it is their turn to speak....only the one holding the microphone is allowed to speak. Thanks!

28 Sep 2017     

fatima24
Algeria

thank you so much.  It"s so useful

28 Sep 2017     

marsjavier
Philippines

Thank you! I will definitely use these mics!

28 Sep 2017     

FrauSue
France

I sometimes throw a soft toy or a ball around the classroom. Pupils are excited to catch the toy and then they have to answer a question! It �s especially good if you have a class sensible enough to throw the ball to each other too, as then thy can practise asking questions too.

29 Sep 2017     

Antonio Oliver
Spain

That �s a good idea, thank you.

Yes, it can be hard as nails to make them talk, so... I pay them! I �ve got these fake bank notes edited with my face  on it. You can scan them from any board game, i.e. Monopoly. I pay 1 euro (or dollar, or pound, or your own invented currency) for each Word uttered. For example:

Q: Did you have a good weekend, Fernando?
A: Yes
Fernando gets 1 euro

Q: Did you have a good weekend, Ana?
A: Yes, I went to the cinema
Ana gets 6 euros.

The next student you ask will probably try to break the record and say something like
I wen to a restaurant with my family and we ate a lot of fries (you can help them a Little with connectors etc)

Regards,

P.S. I can email the fake notes if you are interested 

30 Sep 2017     

clarinha
Portugal

Great idea. 
Thanks for sharing. 

1 Oct 2017