Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffynition for 26th October 2017    

Daffynition for 26th October 2017

spinney
United Kingdom

Daffynition for 26th October 2017

Wow! Thanks for picking me, Douglas. I chose that daffynition because I was reading a biography about Germaine Greer and as always happens when I read biographies, I couldn �t get the subject out of my head.
Right, this week �s daffynition is:

Mollycoddle

Let me know if this one has been done before and I �ll choose another.

26 Oct 2017      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Mollycoddle is a cuddle given by this young girl named Molly to her boyfriend. He has some difficulties speaking so, whenever he wants a cuddle he says: "Mollycoddle!"
Well, speaking difficulties aside, they are very happy together and that �s what really matters! 

26 Oct 2017     

maryse pey�
France

A mollycoddle is the perfect canvas to make the noddles but you absolutely need to shape your noddles on a Molly �s frame !

Because only Molly can make you shape perfect noddles !

Eat well now please !

26 Oct 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A mollycoddle is a dish and it is an acquired taste. It is a small fish which you skewer into a circle ( a bit like a Cumberland sausage - Ah, Spinney, bet your mouth is watering! How long since you had your chops round a Cumberland sausage?), dip in light batter and deep fry until crispy. It tastes a bit like its cousin, the BOMBAY duck (it�s a fish!). As I say, an acquired taste. 

26 Oct 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

When I teach English to my Year One ���class of Inuit Eskimos, they are fascinated by the study of glottochronology, and particularly by the influence of Chomskeyan Semantics. �We can�t get enough of it!� they say. (Incidentally, since Moan Chomskey sold the Takeaway business, and moved into language teaching, he has made LOADS of money!)

Do you know the full significance of the Eskimo word, �IGLOO�?
It is, of course, a house made from blocks of ice.
The IG is the large room at the front, and the LOO is the little room at the back!

But, I digress!

The word MOLLYCODDLE is, of course, of French origin.

Moll y coddle

Those of us who have studied French in great detail, know that, �coddle� is the diminutive of �coup�. But, no language expert can explain WHY. My own theory is, that the LangueDoc, (medical language), was greatly affected by the Mistral Blanc, (the masterly blank), the unknown factor in every language. �Coup d�oeil�, (a small cup of oil), is an obvious medical example.

In the same way, in English, �waddle� = �small steps�, due to the size of your bank balance; �toddle� very small steps, on your own; �straddle� = �a small violin�; �peddle� = �small feet�; �piddle� = � well, you get the general idea.

The French are particularly fond of the word �coup�, which they pronounce /coo/. For example, �Coup de grace�, /coo de grass/ is obvious to those of agricultural background; �Coup de revolver� is when you are caught in a small revolving door; �Coup fatal� was the description of the small, fat gangster, Al Capone; �Un mauvais coup� is a small cup of awful coffee;R�ussir un beau coup� means to re-use a beautiful little cup; etcetera; etcetera; etcetera.

Moll y coddle = Moll y coup

�A moll� is an American gangster�s girl-friend. �Y� is the French word, representing a person, a thing, a place.

The expression is simplicity itself!

�That girl is a little knockout!�

Les Douglas

26 Oct 2017     

douglas
United States

This is Molly, she �s my pride and joy:

Because she is my pride and joy, I like to pamper (coddle) her. So I guess you could say that I am a mollycoddle.

27 Oct 2017     

MarionG
Netherlands

This is - sadly - an important term to know for everyone teaching teenagers in this day and age.
Molly (or Mandy in the UK) is the party drug of choice for some time now. 
It is MDMA in a pure form, those who have been around for a while probably remember its former name: Ecstasy.
It has an energizing effect, giving a sense of euphoria. Teenagers often take the drug at parties to enable them to dance and drink through the entire night. Not surprisingly, once the effects wear off, they may feel completely exhausted (and hungover).
After using Molly it is very important to take good care of oneself - rest, drink plenty of fluids, eat something nutritious etc.
 This "pampering" after a night of using molly is referred to as coddling, hence the term "Mollycoddle".
Sometimes friends will take on the task of mollycoddling, but more often than not it �s up to the party goers themselves to take responsibility. 

Working with teenagers it is important to know the term as it will tell you a lot about the reasons for their behavior:

"Damn, I didn �t have time to finish the assignment, I got caught up in Mollycoddling my pal Dan, he really overdid it last night"

or:

"Wow, I feel like Sh#t, I should have taken the time to Mollycoddle before going out again." 

27 Oct 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

DLE (DataLife Engine) is a website engine, quite popular with both professionals and enthusiasts. There are two versions of the script, DLE coded by Billy ( �Billycoddle �) and Dle coded by Molly  ( �Mollycoddle �). I find a lot of similarities between the engine this site uses and Mollycoddle. 

28 Oct 2017     

agagug
Canada

Mollycoddle is a Norse mythological deity:  In Norway: Mollycoddle is the godmother of all cods. Not to be confused with Mollyringwald, who is definetely not a cod, and unfortunately not Norwegian.

30 Oct 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The godmother of all cods! LOLLOLLOL

30 Oct 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

OK people, once again there were some solid entries but as there can only be one then, this week �s winner is none other than Agagug, with:

Mollycoddle is a Norse mythological deity: In Norway: Mollycoddle is the godmother of all cods. Not to be confused with Mollyringwald, who is definetely not a cod, and unfortunately not Norwegian. 

Take it away Sir! 

30 Oct 2017