Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Production Questions    

Production Questions

rommaya
Egypt

Production Questions

Dear respected teachers,

Would you please clarify the meaning of "production questions" in grammar specially, and please give me few examples.

Thanks in advance, your help is really appreciated.  

19 Nov 2017      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Well, let me see if I can help you.
As far as I have been taught when I was a teacher trainee, "production questions" are questions where students have to provide their own answers to them.
For example, a multiple choice exercise is not a production exercise because students only have to choose the correct option.
If you give your students an exercise where they have to finish sentences using a certain grammatical structure, but using their own ideas, this is a production exercise, because students have to create their own endings to the sentences no matter which grammatical structure they have to use.
I hope this may help you! 

19 Nov 2017     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Rommaya,

I have not met this phrase until now, but my little bit of research suggests the following.

PRODUCTIVE.
a) The creative capacity of language users to produce and understand an indefinitely large number of sentences.
b) The potential of a linguistic rule to produce many instances of the same type.

Examples.
1) The use of �s � to produce regular Plural Nouns. Dog; dogs; cat cats, book books; etc.
2) The use of �ing � to produce the Present Participle, (the -ing Form), of many verbs. Think thinking; speak speaking; see seeing; etc.
3) The use of �ed � to form the Past Simple Tense ending of regular lexical verbs. Believe believed; talk talked; look looked; etc.
4) The 9 modal verbs, (can; could; may; might; shall; should; will; would; must), are always followed by a �bare infinitive � verb, (a verb without �to �). I can walk to London; I could cycle to London; I may fly to London; etc.
This contrasts with non-modal verbs, (excepting the auxiliary verb �to do�), which use the �to infinitive �. I want to walk to London; I prefer to cycle to London; I intend to fly to London; etc.

NON-PRODUCTIVE.
Patterns of language which lack this potential.

Examples.
Several nouns, which are 1 in number, but are regarded as �a pair�, so, they CANNOT have an �s � added to make them plural. Binoculars; spectacles; scissors; forceps; tweezers; scales; trousers; underpants; tights; etc.

SEMI-PRODUCTIVE.
Patterns where there is a limited potential to produce a rule.

Example.
It is possible to use the prefix �un- �, so as to form opposites, in NUMEROUS cases. Happy unhappy; suitable unsuitable; intelligent unintelligent; etc.
But, it is NOT possible to do this in EVERY instance. For example, sad unsad; useful unuseful; stupid unstupid; etc.

I believe the following would be examples of productive questions.

"Can you give me a list of words beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet, the letter �a�, for example?" Apple; and; answer; etc.
"Can you give me a list of words ending with the letters of the alphabet, �tion�, for example?" Nation; function; addition; etc.
"Answer these questions with your approximate age! How old were you when you first started school?; ... learned to read?; ... learned to write?; etc." Five; six; eight; etc.
"Answer these questions with the name of your teacher!" Who was your first teacher of Maths?; ... History?; ... Geography?; etc." Miss White; Mr Main; Mrs. Carr; etc.
"Can you give the negative Form of these sentences? I eat ice-cream; I live in the USA; I study music; etc. I don�t eat ice-cream; I don�t live in the USA; I don�t study music; etc.  

I think that jfaraujo makes some valid points.

I hope that these remarks are of help to you.

But other Members, with a deeper knowledge of productive questions, may offer better advice.

Les Douglas 

19 Nov 2017     

rommaya
Egypt

Thanks for your help dear teachers. It is much appreciated.

Reem 

20 Nov 2017