Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > BLACK FRIDAY    

BLACK FRIDAY

ascincoquinas
Portugal

BLACK FRIDAY

Can anyone help me here, please!?

There �s been a huge discussion on facebook about the origins of Black Friday....
So here the two versions:

ok so which one is correct? if any???

Thanks
Ascincoquinas

25 Nov 2017      

yanogator
United States

Here �s what I think about it. I believe Snopes about its not having to do with slave trading. Both sources cite the Philadelphia police force origin, and I would accept that. The gold market story mentions that it is the first usage of the term "Black Friday", but doesn �t give us any reason to believe that the day was called that any time after 1869.

Bruce 

25 Nov 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �d go with Bruce on this one. That story slavery was discredited a while back. 

26 Nov 2017     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thanks guys! 

My opinion too! But since the discussion became an argument I wasn �t exactly sure about it so I decided to ask....

Regards From Portugal, 

Ascincoquinas 

26 Nov 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

Yup -- Definitely NOT about slavery. 

It is actually a reference to an accounting term.  For businesses, they are operating "in the red"  any time they are not making a profit.   Business are operating "in the black" when they ARE making a profit. 

In the US, many businesses don �t actually start making a profit until the end of the year, when people begin shopping for Christmas gifts.  The Friday after Thanksgiving became known as "Black Friday" because this is when most businesses finally began to show a profit for the year, or were �In the black".   The Friday after Thanksgiving (which is always on Thursday) is the beginning of the Christmas shopping season, and it has become a bigger and bigger shopping day, as more and more businesses promote special sales on this day.  

I�d have to have more confirmation about the racial citations in order to believe it. I�m from that part of the USA -- Montgomery, Alabama -- the epicenter of that whole ugly part of American history. And I can tell you that in my 55 years I�ve never heard anything about this.  And it is just the nature of Montgomery�s ongoing attitude and its unfortunate history that if there were anything truly to this, it would have already been out there AGES ago.  So, I won�t discount it completely, but I will say that I�m very much in doubt as to the accuracy of that. 

27 Nov 2017     

mvblair
United States

I definitely understood it as being an accounting term, as Ideloresmoore said. In accounting books, the color black is used to indicate a profit and red ink is used to indicate a debt. So, supposedly stores sell a lot of things and then go "in the black," just as she stated. 

28 Nov 2017     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

I really don �t know where that idea came from. I was taught by former English teacher that it was related to accounting. But people sometimes tend to spread rumours in order to start an argument.

Needdless to say that I explained your opinions and justifications...but I wasn �t very successful! So assume that people believe in what they want instead of facts. 

Thanks so much to all of you! 

Ascincoquinas.

28 Nov 2017     

source
Turkey

I feel ashamed while writing these sentences but I have to tell that in Turkey some illiterate people think that �Black Friday � is an insulting term for Muslim countries as Friday is a holy day for Muslim people and �black � is interpreted as a �bad � thing. Unfortunately some stores in the sopping mall were attacked because they were having Black Friday sales. 

1 Dec 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Source: That �s pretty bad but it happens all over the world. About 20 years ago a pediatrician (children �s doctor) had his house burned down in Wales because the locals thought he was a paedophile. If it wasn �t so sad it would be funny. Some people are best locked in the house and kept out of harm �s way. 

1 Dec 2017