Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need help with a class of 5 students.    

I need help with a class of 5 students.

dennismychina
China

Hi Jamie,

This sounds like it could turn out to be one of your nicest teaching experiences. I�d go with basic vocab questions and answers (as LB suggests, a theme could work well) and build up from there. The main thing, I think, would be for you to be relaxed and treat it as a set of fun / light-hearted sessions with the emphasis on worksheets to generate speaking, in a friendly non competitive environment. .    Enjoy. Enjoy, ENJOY.Smile

9 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

First off, I say focus on the children. The father is there for his children �s sake so he will be happy if they are learning.  Next you will probably have to start out with basic alphabet, pronunciation, and  numbers.  As you do this tie in basic vocabulary ie:

A- apple
           or
map               pan
mat                pen
mutt               pin
mute              pun
mop               pawn
mob               paw
moth

Have fun,

Douglas

9 Mar 2009     

jamie_s
Thailand

First of all, Logos there �s no need to apologise it �s my fault for not giving the details of my student �s in my initial post, and to everyone else thank you very much for your help. It has helped me alot with my preparations. Each of you has a different take/ideas on this, and I welcome more suggestions from you all. I will definately keep you all updated with my progress in this class.
By the way the Father has changed the lesson from next week to this Wednesday, so I �ll let you know how my first lesson goes, and maybe you can all help me through the next few after that.

P.S I �ll be teaching 3 hours a day; 3 days a week. Thank you; once again.

Jamie

9 Mar 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello jamie s!

If I were you, I would also be a little lost... but as it was told before, they are more or less all at the same level and, a great advantage (in my opinion) is that they are a family!

Why advantage? Just because they already know each other, are familiar with each other and they can also practice at home! You can, for example, tell them to practice dialogs at home (first you can make an example with a prompt in class and then send one for something like "homework"). I guess the father will be of many help with the children (mainly at home).

You can also talk to the father and tell him it would be nice if he stimulates the other family members at home. For example, if you teach "food", he can try that everyone at home tell the names of some items of food (that they are eating, for example) you have taught them previously. I hope you can get my idea! Wink If not, you can always send me a private message and I �ll try to explain it better.

Good luck for this new experience!

Kita

9 Mar 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

good luck Jamie!

I would strongly suggest: flashcards and boardgames - the boardgame can be Empty boxes and you can put different pictures on the boardgame, so it will be different every time... :-)

ask the kids to bring some nice pictures (from magazines, bulletins, advertisements...)
and also food packets - and let them explore what the name of the food is ... :-)

Try to make is as funny as possible and I am sure you have a success.

10 Mar 2009     

Stelletta
Russian Federation

Just because they want some fun, I would probably try to learn something of everyday family language. Something like,

- Wake up! Wake up! School time!
- I don �t want! I �m tired / sleepy / sad / hungry /...
- Breakfast time! Children, wash your faces, brush your teeth and make your beds!
- What �s for breakfast?
- ... (food)
- Oh, it �s lovely / wonderful / great/ terrible/ disgusting / ... I want some ...
- The school bus!  Where �s my bag? Where arre my shoes? Where are my keys?
- (directions)

They could role-play real-life situations, and then swap their parts (the children becoming the parents and vice versa Tongue)

13 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2