Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Not sure if people are up to playing the daffynitions game    

Not sure if people are up to playing the daffynitions game

redcamarocruiser
United States

Not sure if people are up to playing the daffynitions game

Thanks Maryse for choosing my daffynitions.

There was low participation in the last round.

The new word I suggest is Funambulation.

Feel free to offer your funny made up definition. Or if there is no interest, we can retire the game for a while. 

16 Jan 2018      

MoodyMoody
United States

Funambulation is obviously stealing an ambulance and joyriding in it. Here is a particularly egregious example of this:

An Oklahoma woman is back behind bars for stealing an ambulance less than 24 hours after being released from jail.

Even more ridiculous? Her explanation for doing so.

The incident occurred a little over a month ago, but the Oklahoma Highway Patrol is just now releasing the dash cam video.

According to authorities, paramedics had just delivered a patient to Pauls Valley General Hospital.

That �s when Dasha West, 36, jumped behind the wheel of the empty ambulance and sped off.

The vehicle was missing for about two hours before it was spotted on a turnpike, and law enforcement gave chase.

Eventually, West pulled over and troopers, with guns drawn, took her into custody.

She spoke to Trooper Mat Conway after being apprehended and gave quite an odd explanation for stealing the ambulance:

Conway: "Do you know what you did? You took the ambulance from a hospital."

West: "Yeah."

Conway: "You �re not supposed to do that. You get in trouble with that. They reported it stolen."

West: "Oh."

Conway: "So you �re in a stolen vehicle."

West: "I thought that �s what they wanted me to do!"

Conway: "To take the ambulance?"

Apparently, West had just been released from jail for assaulting paramedics.

16 Jan 2018     

douglas
United States

"Funambulation" a noun referring to acts normally performed by  inebriated or otherwise intoxicated persons  (normally experiencing a temporary or permanent bout of low intelligence), that usually begin with "Watch this..", "Hold my Beer..." or "that was nothing, look what I can do..". Of course, this "fun" usually results in an ambulance ride.

17 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There is nothing funny about funambulation. You can only do it when you are dead, after all. (Truly �after all � in this situation, n �est-ce pas?) So there you are, dead as a doornail, lying in your coffin, waiting to get a glimpse of the afterlife and hoping for the flapping of angelic wings, not the prodding of demonic spears, when you find yourself alert. You are standing behind your coffin and strangely, you know what to do. You follow the cortege, head bent respectfully, acknowledging your mourners. They can �t see you, of course, which is just as well. And after that? That is the question, my friends, and one that I �m afraid I can �t answer. But I need a coffee after this. 

17 Jan 2018     

maryse pey�
France

It is an euphemism meaning :

FUji NAMes its BULl AcTION or the Mount Fuji, which is a Japanese volcano, is about to explode : RUUUUUUUUUUUUNNN !!!

17 Jan 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Redcamarocruiser:

I �m really sorry because I �ve been hit, again, with the FLU.

I can barely lift my head from the Pillow.
Please, everybody, don �t ask me to do things on ESLP for the next few days.

I �ll return when I �m well again.

All the Best! 

Les Douglas 

20 Jan 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Don �t worry Les,

Hope you get well soon!

Best wishes,
Mary 

20 Jan 2018     

FrauSue
France

I can �t compete with Moodymoody �s great entry to this competition!

21 Jan 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Funambulation is a ritual. It is a handshake between males (sorry, but it is). Two fellows grip each other �s hand and squeeze like hell, while looking square into each other �s eyes and despite the pain, maintaining a manly-looking grin, a hail-fellow-well-met faux bonhomie. 
Fun = that �s just ironic, ambu = both hands (Latin) lation = short for elation which happens when they squeeze so tight the oxygen supply gets cut off.
 All the best, dear Les! Heart
..And maybe Mary is right for just now... 

21 Jan 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thank you all for your entries.  I liked all of them as they showed thought and humour.  However, only one can be the winner. Lynne �s creative handshake entry tickeled me and so I declare Lynne the winner.  Over to you, Lynne.

21 Jan 2018