Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "the" before proper names    

"the" before proper names

crissorrir
Brazil

"the" before proper names

Hi everyone!

Can you help me,please? 
I have always told my students we do not use the before proper names like: The Mary, the Japan,etc... But yesterday one of my students asked why we use the before names of bands like: The Rolling Stones, etc...

Have a nice day everyone and thanks in advance! 

15 Mar 2018      

maryse pey�
France

It is a compound name and it is a plural name like "THE UNITED STATES" for example.

Hope it helps.

15 Mar 2018     

douglas
United States

This link does a pretty good job of explaining the different situations where we do and don �t use "the":

http://writing.umn.edu/sws/quickhelp/grammar/articlesproper.html

Cheers,
Douglas

16 Mar 2018     

yanogator
United States

Also, "The" is part of the name for bands such as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. "Smashing Pumpkins", on the other hand, is not "The Smashing Pumpkins", because that is not their name. Also, my accordion band Squeeze Play is not The Squeeze Play.

Bruce 

17 Mar 2018     

drissbkd
Morocco

generally speaking, if the name is in the plural form like the Stuarts, The  Vikings, "the" is used to emphasize the fact that they �re unique...

17 Mar 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear crissorrir: 

As others have said, in this case it refers to a group of people, things, or places, which are plural.
Here are some examples.

People: The Japanese, the British, the Africans. The rich, the poor, the old, the young, the unemployed.
Groups of Islands: The West Indies, The Canary Islands, The Hebrides, The Bahamas, The Azores.
Groups of Lakes: The Great Lakes; The Lake District, The Connecticut Lakes, The Seven Rila Lakes, The Finger Lakes. 
Ranges of Mountains/Hills: The Rockies, The Alps, The Pennines, The Urals, The Harz Mountains.
Places: The United States (of America), The United Kingdom (of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland). The United Arab Emirates.

But there are also many singular proper names where we use  �the �.

Rivers: The Thames, The Seine, The Volga, The Danube, The River Nile, The Amazon River, The Tagus.
Seas and Oceans: The Pacific, The Atlantic Ocean, The Caspian Sea, The Sea of Azov, The Kattegat.
Canals: The Erie Canal, The Suez Canal, The Panama Canal, The Manchester Ship Canal.
Other Geographical Features on the Coast: The Isle of Man. The Straits of Magellan. The Gulf of Mexico. The Bay of Biscay. The Cape of Good Hope. The Iberian Peninsular.

Public Buildings: The British Broadcasting Corporation, The Eiffel Tower, The Alhambra.
Hotels: The Waldorf Hotel, The Hilton, The Sheraton Hotel.
Museums: The British Museum, The Van Gogh Museum, The Louvre.
Cinemas: The Odeon Cinema, The Rex, The Picture Palace. 
Theatres: The Globe Theatre, London, The Sydney Opera House, The La Scala, Milan.
Libraries: The British Library, The Library of Alexandria, The Vatican Library.
Bridges: The Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco; The Tower Bridge, London; The Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Landmarks: The Pyramids. The Sphinx. The Colosseum of Rome. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Ships: The Queen Elizabeth, The Titanic, The Bismark.
Planes: The Wright Flyer, The Spirit of Saint Louis, The Bl�riot X1.

Newspapers: The Guardian, The Times of India, The Washington Post.

I hope this is of help to you.

Les Douglas

18 Mar 2018     

crissorrir
Brazil

Thank you a lot everyone! You were, I mean, are really helpful!
Hugs, 

22 Mar 2018