Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Find the mistake of this sentence and correct it :    

Find the mistake of this sentence and correct it :

normandey
Egypt

Find the mistake of this sentence and correct it :

A fire is thought to break out by a cigarette end yesterday.

13 Jun 2018      

kohai
Latvia

I think it should be "A fire is thought to have been broken out by..."

(BUT  I�d prefer "A fire is thought to have been caused by..." )

Not sure though. You should better wait for our experts� answers.
I�ll be waiting too. :)

13 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mmm... it �s a bit awkward, and I agree with Ruta �s preferred sentence. The difficulty with that sentence is: the fire definitely broke out and it was thought to have been caused by a cigarette end. 
Maybe, �a fire, thought to have been caused by a cigarette end, broke out yesterday. �  

13 Jun 2018     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Ruta and Lynne, and I �ll also suggest "A fire broke out yesterday that is thought to have been caused by a cigarette end". You definitely want to avoid implying that it is only thought that the fire broke out.

Bruce 

13 Jun 2018     

aperkins4
Japan

I`d say that Bruce`s sentence is likely the one you want. You could move the day to the beginning as well:

"Yesterday, a fire broke out, which is thought to have been caused by a cigarette end."

If you want a shorter sentence,  "A fire is thought to have broken out by a cigarette end yesterday."

If it is for a newspaper headline, you can break a couple grammar rules as say: "FIRE YESTERDAY, THOUGHT BY CIGARETTE END"

Finally, if they *yesterday* thought the fire broke out by cigarette end, but *today* think it came from a different source, then you`d say, "Yesterday, a fire was thought to have been caused by a cigarette end." Today, we know it was caused by a child playing with match sticks. 

14 Jun 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I prefer my sentence

15 Jun 2018     

normandey
Egypt

Thanks for all you.

15 Jun 2018