Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day contest 5th July    

Word of the day contest 5th July

jfaraujo
Portugal

Word of the day contest 5th July

Hello everyone!
Mary was kind enough to choose my entry as the winner of the last WOD.
So, the new word is coprolalia. Give me your best definitions ever!
Good luck! 

5 Jul 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Well this is a portemanteau noun : COllector of PROducts LAtin and LIApanese.

Yes in fact the person who invented this word could not pronounce JAPANESE in the right way...

5 Jul 2018     

MoodyMoody
United States

Coprolalia is speaking well of the police, even when they do crappy things.

Cop: slang for police officer
-pro-: in support of
-lalia: speech. 

5 Jul 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Lalia, occasionally lahlia, noun, singular and plural lahlia, refers to flowers, as in dahlia, those lovely brightly coloured daisy-like florals of Mexican origin. We all know cop, slang for copper. 
That accounts for the derivation, but Coprolalia is actually a proper noun and we do need a capital letter. It �s an ever-increasing noisy but nice group of police officers who insist on floralising their attire. I say, long may this group live and I hope more and more officers will follow suit. I think we should even have an INTERNATIONAL COPROLALIA DAY. 

5 Jul 2018     

maryse pey�
France

I love this helmet ! May I order one please ?

6 Jul 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

COPROLALIA.

I am so pleased that jfaraujo has chosen a more classy word than usual.

For those of us, like me, who have a chemical bent, it is an absolute gift.

(If you don’t know this idiomatic phrase, “A chemical bent”, it is an L-shaped U-tube, which can be used as a pipette!)

‘Copro’, is of course, back-street Latin for the chemical word, ‘cupro’= ‘a line of cups’.

In its early days, as their opening song, the Mothers’ Union used to sing “The Hokey Cokey”.

This was considered too frivolous, so it was changed to “Viva Espana”, to accommodate European Members.

This “Viva” song has a complete verse of ¯ “Laa, laa, ¯ la, la, la, la, laaa”¯.

In musical parlance, this is referred to, as “Lalia”, a term from the musical world, similar to Vilja; Vontja; and Pizzacato.

So, COPROLALIA is The Loyal Toast at the Mothers’ Union.

Les Douglas 

6 Jul 2018     

kwsp
United States

I had to copy Cunliffe with a row of cops wearing leis! cop - ro(w) - lalia (the long form of leis)

7 Jul 2018