Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day - 22.07.2018    

Word of the day - 22.07.2018

maryse pey�
France

Word of the day - 22.07.2018

Thanks again dear MoodyMoody for your choosing my "Italian" daffynition.

Here is my word for a new brainstorming and a bunch of laughter : CALLITHUMPIAN.

Remember : no real definition, no synonym ! Only invented possibiities - crazy, tender, frightening (why not ?)...

I know that a lot of you will need some days to light their computer...  So I will wait to have enough daffynitions before choosing the winner.

Good imagination ! Make us laugh, make us laugh...

Maryse. 

22 Jul 2018      

douglas
United States

Sorry to get a little political here, but

calli - (California)

thump- (hit or strike heavily)

ian - (from, related to, or like)

callithumpian- a person from California (like myself) that would like to see someone thump Trump.

23 Jul 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Callithumpian! is an old-fashioned term for the more up-to-date �jolly well done, old fruity! � And that is exactly what I say to all you guys still checking our magnificent site, commenting and uploading in the middle of summer. Jolly good show! Callithumpian! 

25 Jul 2018     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Callithumpian!

For those of you who are literature buffs, like me, you will be well-acquainted with “Pride and Prejudice”, by Jane Austen.

However, I took the trouble to read the Original Version, which was called “How to Lose Friends and Irritate People!” by Plain Ferrari. (Her actual Stage Name was Wells Fargo, but she preferred to write under a pseudonym, because it was more secluded and much cooler there.)

The original novel is actually much better than the one we know now.

For the first three pages, Mrs. Bennett complained non-stop, until she developed a wart on her nose. For the rest of the novel she feared someone would notice the wart, and laugh at her. To avoid this, she was constantly nice to everyone, and gave them a gift of nine pennies.

However, the Publishers demanded that the author re-write the story, with Mrs. Bennet a garrulous, complaining, gossiping harridan, prone to fits of the vapours … “like your average woman!”

In writing this, I am sorry to appear so insulting, but these are the Publisher’s words, not mine.

On a historical note, this is the origin of the saying, ‘As nice as nine-pence.’

There is a sub plot to the romance of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, which takes place on a sunken ship. (That’s why it’s called ‘a sub plot’).

The Downstairs Kitchen Maid’s Assistant’s Skivvy, Catherine Thumberstonehaugh, was re-named by Lord Tom Jones, the Lord of the Manor. He was jealous of her aristocratic name. “It’s too high-falutin for a Servant!”

So, ‘Cally Thump’, (as she was called), is in love with the Lord’s son, The Right Honourable Sir Ian Ovalguy. And he is in love with her!

The First Chapter is very appropriately titled: “Chapter One”.

And it has a sub title, (because it’s ‘on a sunken …’ etc.)

“The Beginning.”

The Chapter ends, when nice Mrs. Bennett introduces Cally to her future husband, for the very first time. Mrs. Bennett uses that now-familiar phrase.

“Cally Thump … Ian!”

Unlike “Pride and Prejudice”, this is a TRUE story.

Les Douglas.

29 Jul 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Les, I �ve been waiting for this, hilarious! 

However, I have to correct you, as are wrong on one what some might consider a tiny matter, but one which alas can have enormous consequences, as in, �Let �s eat grandma! �. Punctuation!
What that pugilistic lady Mrs Bennett, - a wolf in sheep �s clothing and a nasty little piece of work with a wart on her nose, always stirring up trouble and flexing her muscles -  said was:
�Cally, thump Ian. �  

29 Jul 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Callithumpian in addition to all of the aforementioned definitions also is the name of one of the oldest professions in agriculture. A callithumpian is a farm worker whose job it is to thump the heads of cauliflower to determine whether they are ripe enough to harvest.

31 Jul 2018