Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ukrainian     

Ukrainian

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Ukrainian

Dear native speakers of Ukrainian,

Can anyone please translate this sentence in Ukrainian (not Russian) using Cyrilic and Latin script:

If you talk to a man in his own language, that goes to his heart. 

I am really grateful for your help.  Thnx a million.

30 Aug 2018      

maryse pey�
France

Your statement makes me think of another proverb (from Native American wisdom) : "You cannot actually understand someone unless you have walked 7 miles in his shoes."

The meaning of both sentences, in my humble opinion, is that you must carely listen to the other �s "language". Not only the spoken language but the deep feelings language, the everyday life language, the social language, the cultural language and so on.

In some way you may become someone very close in the meaning of things, that way your sharing of ideas, of opinions, of... will be better understood and accepted.

I am used to say to my students "You speak as you live and you live as you speak". In other words "When in Rome do as the Roman do", yes when you are with other people to integrate the group but you must keep and preserve your own personality when alone. Both experiences will make more interesting others � knowledge and your own knowlledge because they will influence each other respecting each other...

Might this help a little ?

30 Aug 2018     

sashulochka
Ukraine

Hello there! I �ll try to help you) It �s not a word by word translation but very close. 
 If you talk to a man in his own language, that goes to his heart.  - 

Якщо ви розмовляєте з людиною її рідною мовою, то ви говорите з її серцем. 
         Yakshho vy rozmovlyayete z lyudynoyu yiyi ridnoyu movoyu, to vy hovoryte z yiyi sercem. 

30 Aug 2018     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Sashuloocha,

Thank you so much. It doesn �t have to be translated literraly, it just needs to be grammatically accurate. 

Dear Maryse Peye,
This is a statement by N. Mandela and I would like to have it in certain languages for European Day of Language.
Since I see you have a French flag,I wonder if you could would you minnd translating it inro French for me?

Thank you both for your help. :)) 

30 Aug 2018     

maryse pey�
France

Yes, of course : here is the French translation - I mean the inner sense of it :

SI TU VEUX TOUCHER LE COEUR D �UN HOMME PARLE-LUI AVEC SES PROPRES MOTS.

I feel the deep meaning of Mandela �s message in this way.

A beautiful message...

30 Aug 2018     

yanogator
United States

Maryse,
I don �t know French, so I might be totally off base here, but it looks like you reversed the order of the clauses, which seems to change it from a simple cause and effect into an intention.

Or maybe I should just keep my nose out of this.    :)

Bruce 

30 Aug 2018     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

In Czech : Mluvíte- li s člověkem jeho rodnou řečí, vnímá vás srdcem. 

31 Aug 2018     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Bruce, you are right I have changed the order of the clauses but the meaning here does not depend on the order. Let me explain : you are right in the sense I have priviledged the symbolic (philosophical) meaning with "SES PROPRES MOTS".

And you give me the opportunity to complete my answer.

You can say SI TU PARLES � UN HOMME DANS SA PROPRE LANGUE CELA LUI IRA DROIT AU COEUR. That way you speak about the language of the country but you can change the order of the clauses and the meaning will be the same.

If you want to speak of both symbolic/philosophical meaning and of the spoken language you can say : SI TU PARLES � UN HOMME DANS SON PROPRE LANGAGE CELA LUI IRA DROIT AU COEUR or the contrary.

In fact the main aspect of the meaning is linked with the word(s) you are using.

What an interesting debate you raised... I was talking with a friend of mine and he pointed out that every language has got their own subtilities or precisions according to the intonation, the words you  use and now you point out the order of the clauses. Yes, a very interesting debate, indeed !

So to end my chat you are right you can say SI TU PARLES � UN HOMME AVEC SES PROPRES MOTS CELA LUI IRA DROIT AU COEUR and keep the symbolic meaning with the same order of the clauses.

I hope I have not complicated Zvonka�s reflection...

31 Aug 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Very well clarified! Thank you dear Maryse. 

1 Sep 2018