Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day - 17.09.2018    

Word of the day - 17.09.2018

valentinaper
Greece

Word of the day - 17.09.2018

Hello, everyone!
First, I �d like to thank Maryse again for choosing my crazy definition.

As for the new word, let me say that being from Greece frequently gets me thinking, what do English speakers make of words with Greek origin? How do they attempt to guess the meaning/ etymology of such words?

That �s why I chose this specific word for you to dwell on:

DRAPETOMANIA 

I �m eager to see what unusual, inspired, crazy answers you �ll come up with! Let the game begin!

Valentina 

16 Sep 2018      

MoodyMoody
United States

Drapetomania is obviously the obsession pet owners have with keeping their animals from ruining their long curtains and furniture. It is an excellent example of a portmanteau word with the elements "drape" (a floor-length window covering) and "pet" (an animal kept for the company rather than work) overlapping in the spelling and pronunciation. The o is an epenthesis added for ease of pronunciation. "Mania," of course, is used in the more colloquial sense of extreme enthusiasm rather than the clinical sense of elevated mood with hyperactivity.

Drapetomania is the major factor driving the sales of cat scratching posts. 

17 Sep 2018     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Do you know, there �s such a range of manias and phobias these days, it �s hard to keep up! This one, Drapetomania, is the love of changing the flag obsessively, well, it is a mania! So, you go past the Town Hall and they are flying the Union Jack. On your way back, they have got the EU flag flapping in the wind, then the three lions, then the Welsh dragon etc ...
Drap = flag, eto = finding a reason for making flag changes . 

18 Sep 2018     

maryse pey�
France

This is from French :

DRAP means sheet (for the bed)
ET is for and
O MAN is said by the teens when they call someone (man or boy)
IA is for Y �A which is bad French for IL Y A (and as you can notice nothing to do with the German YA for yes)

And the words are in disorder here.

So DRAPETOMANIA means DRAP ET O MAN IA or in clearer words : " Whao ! There is a sheet for the bed here so we can sleep comfortably ! For once !"

Ah ! Teens and their coded language !

19 Sep 2018     

FrauSue
France

This word describes the modern obsession with aesthetic procedures for companion animals, such as teeth whitening for dogs or piercings for cats. People love to doctor their pets: Dr - a pet - o mania. It �s pronounced "doctorapetohmania".)

Here �s an example of a cat whose owner is a drapetomaniac:
 Résultat de recherche d ´images pour "pet piercing"

19 Sep 2018     

valentinaper
Greece

Hello!

Thank you all for contributing your weird, amusing daffynitions of the word DRAPETOMANIA.
Drapetomania is defined as "an overwhelming urge to run away", which is, to my mind, something that teachers feelat least once in a while!
I liked all your posts, but I �m happy to pass the torch to MoodyMoody, who described pet owners � attempts to salvage their curtains from furry attacks in a really funny way!

Congratulations, MoodyMoody, you �re up next!
Have a nice day!

Valentina 

24 Sep 2018