Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > wish clauses    

wish clauses

aldonza
Spain

wish clauses

Hi
I´ve got a question regarding this sentence
"Why on Earth does Geoffrey wish he would be given/they would give him a knighthood?"
Which one is correct and why?
Actually, I know the second option is the correct one but why the first isn´t ?
Thanks in advance

28 Nov 2018      

yanogator
United States

Both are correct and interchangeable. The first is passive, and the second is active.

Bruce 

28 Nov 2018     

aldonza
Spain

Hi Bruce!
I agree with you but I wondered why in the book only the second is considered correct

Thanks for your help

28 Nov 2018     

FrauSue
France

Is the first considered incorrect because "why does he wish to be given a knighthood" would be neater? I agree with you both that either are possible, but perhaps the first is too inelegant to be marked correct. 

28 Nov 2018     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I like your thinking on this one, Frau Sue. I also agree with all of you that both are correct and, as Bruce points out, interchangeable.

28 Nov 2018     

aldonza
Spain

Thankyou all for your answers!
Cheers

29 Nov 2018     

yanogator
United States

I agree that Frausue probably has the only reasonable explanation, but that is making the major assumption that the author of the book is being reasonable. It could just be a mistake in the book. We certainly know that those happen!    :)

Bruce 

29 Nov 2018