Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 30 05 2020    

WOD 30 05 2020

maryse pey�
France

WOD 30 05 2020

Thanks a million Dale to have found my daffynition under the sand of the pyramid !

So here we are for a new word. Remember NO REAL DEFINITION, only silly, witty, childish ... invented ones.

My word : AGELAST.

Oh by the way aged and young people can play of course ! ;)   

Please make us laugh ! 

Hugs to all.

Maryse. 

30 May 2020      

savilla
Australia

This was invented by one of those countries other than England, who do such horrible and strange things to the English language.

agelast (n, informal); the last time period.

Here�s an example of its usage:

British English: Oh Dave, last time I saw you was ages ago! How are you?
*&*(&*!@K English: Oh Dave. I haven�t seen you in an agelast!

It�s now in common usage, in all English-speaking countries.
Trust me; I�m Australian, and we always speak the Queen�s English in Australia. 🇦🇺

30 May 2020     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Sorry, I don�t agree with you Savilla. 
Agelast is a composed noun age and last ( imported from German word die Last  which means burden) So agelast ist the burden of old age, that I start to feel unfortunately.  

30 May 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I am sorry guys, that is not right and I don�t know whether to commend or rebuke Maryse for choosing a word that gives us no intrinsic clues to its meaning. It has nothing to do with age or last. It is the word for an overbearing person who always insists on getting their own way. Now that I have done some googling, I have found that there are linguistic clues to help us. Age (pronounced agay) is Ancient Scrotinese for person and last is Ancient Simiotic for bombastic. So there we are an agelast is an overbearing, bombastic person. 

30 May 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me, AGELAST means angelic or angelist  She is a beautiful person with an angelast personality.

30 May 2020     

karagozian
France

Absolutely right ! THE most angelast ! Are we talking about LYNNE ?

1 Jun 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

This is an adjective which is very similar in meaning to the phrasal verb "drag on." It means to last longer than one would want. 
example; "The film was incredibly boring and agelast. I thought it would never end."  

1 Jun 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Monique, possibly...

1 Jun 2020     

Aisha77
Spain

Actually, "agelast" comes from the symbol Ag in chemistry. 
After a lot of research, some experts in chemistry and alchemy realised that silver could become elastic after all, the reason was they mixed silver with chewing gum and the purpose is yet to be discovered...
HI TO EVERYONE!!! ;) HOPE U�RE ALL FINE!! 

2 Jun 2020