Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Use of Neither    

Use of Neither

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Use of Neither

Fill in using a possessive adjective: Neither Jack nor Jane has ..... book. Thanks in advance.

8 Sep 2020      

douglas
United States

their

8 Sep 2020     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Many thanks.

8 Sep 2020     

esl-teacher
Peru

I think it can�t be has or books because you are talking about neither of them, so it has to be Neither Jack nor Jane have their books.

8 Sep 2020     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Shouldn�t we use a singular verb if the last subject joined by neither .. nor ... is singular?

8 Sep 2020     

douglas
United States

Typically yes, but for normal use we use the plural because the subjects mixed gender ( both male and female). If they were same gender we could use:

Neither Jane nor Paula has her book.

Note:Their as a singular pronoun is becoming more accepted in these days of gender neutral/ gender inclusive writing and speaking.

9 Sep 2020     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Yes, we should use a singular verb.
HAS, not have, because the last subject is singular.
 BUT: The exercise is incorrect in itself! I could also say
Neither Jane nor Jack has MY/YOUR/OUR/HIS/HER book.
And every single one of them is gramatically correct depending on the meaning.

9 Sep 2020     

douglas
United States

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/132425/their-or-his-or-her-in-a-sentence-using-neither-nor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Common use allows for "their" in most cases--it�s been used as singular for  along time (even Shakespeare used it that way).

9 Sep 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Their. Douglas is right and this usage is becoming more and more the norm. 

9 Sep 2020     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, their is appropriate. And as has already been indicated, singular their is of ancient pedigree; the first recorded use was in the Wycliffite Bible of 1382: "Eche on in þer craft ys wijs(that þ symbol – �thorn� – represented voiced th in Middle English).

On the neither...nor front, I�m with Merriam-Webster�s Dictionary of English Usage:
"Neither...nor with two (or more) singular subjects [...] is governed by notional agreement and may take either a singular or a plural verb, as if the writer were imagining it as the negative of �either this or that� or the negative of �both this and that�. When the subjects are plural, or the last subject is plural, a plural verb is expected."

10 Sep 2020