Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help    

Help

ladzoya
Belarus

Thank you, everyone for you participation and not being indifferent to my request☺️

21 Mar 2021     

iabelmoua
Portugal

Hi, Ladzoya, here I am again. I keep saying that the right answer to your question is "were" and not "was"" If you think about the last exemple given by Kwsp "Five thousands miles is too far to travel", although the word "distance" is not mentioned in the sentence, it is what we are referring to. When the subject, even when it is niot mentioned is singular or uncountable, we use the verb in the singyular form; however, when it is countabke and it is plural, we  must use the verb in it�s plural form. Rubbish is uncountable, but kgs of rubbish is plural, because by saying "kgs" the subject becomes plural. In the example given by you, concerning the liters of milk, when we say liters in the fridge, whe are referring to the amount of milk we have in the fridge, so, it is uncountabke (singukar); however, when we refer to the milk in the bottles, it becomes countable,since the liters are separated in two bottles, it means that we refer to the bottles that have 2 liters of milk inside.

22 Mar 2021     

class centre
Belarus

IMHO about 30 kg of... just means much rubbish. that is why only WAS is correct here.

23 Mar 2021     

yanogator
United States

I�ll include myself in Lynne�s straw poll and say that "was" is the best answer. Clearly an argument can be made for "were", and it would be correct in a very formal and pedantic (which could be my nickname) way, but for a common understanding of the sentence, we take 30kg of rubbish as a unit, and uncountable.

Bruce 

23 Mar 2021     

kwsp
United States

Maybe this will help?

23 Mar 2021     

< Previous   1    2