Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to make French students speak only in English?    

How to make French students speak only in English?

saloui
France

How to make French students speak only in English?

Hello, I hope that you�re all doing well. I need your precious pieces of advice if possible. Well , I teach English to French students and I need you to tell me what do you do to encourage your students to speak only in English in class , to overcome their fear and to enjoy it. Another thing, how do you deal with their different capacity of learning (dyslexia etc...) Thanks in advance.

27 Jun 2021      

savilla
Australia

I worked at a centre where we sent students home if they spoke in languages other than English. 
So...... that�s one way!

More generally, I�d just say try and make your classes as engaging as possible. If they are low-level and not confident, maybe try some board games. You need to monitor to make sure they are using English :)
Find out what their interests are and try and include that in activities. Football, video games.. maybe movies?

27 Jun 2021     

aperkins4
Japan

I�ve found that it depends on the students� age and motivation.

You could do a point/currency system wherein students earn a certain number of points if they successfully complete English assignments and participate in conversations in English. However, they would lose points every time they are caught speaking in a different language. For this to work, you need prizes such as candy bars, chewing gum, or pens and pencils that students can buy using their points. You can even have silly prizes like letting students rent a section of the whiteboard for the day (that student can draw anything they want, and it stays up all day). I�ve had quite a bit of success with this system, but it only works if you have prizes. Currency without anything to spend it on is meaningless.

Another method uses physical penalties like Savilla�s center. However, instead of sending the students out of the classroom (where they can no longer learn from you), have them stand up in the back of the room or do push-ups and crunches every time they speak a language that isn�t English. I recommend having them wall-sit for 1 minute! This works well for high school students. However, there is a certain type of student who could try to break the system. Watch out for the athletic, attention-seeking class clown.

As for students who are afraid of making mistakes, maybe give them a safe phrase for asking for help. "Excuse me, Teacher. May I ask [my classmate] a question in French?" This lets them clarify information in their L1 without penalties from breaking the rule of speaking only English.

28 Jun 2021     

FrauSue
France

A daft prop which helps them to feel less self-conscious can be good. A giant cardboard microphone (you hold it out to them like you are interviewing them on TV) or maybe a silly British hat, like a top hat or a bowler hat, could also work. Then it becomes a role-play as the pupil isn�t speaking as themself but as the interviewee/the hat wearer, so it�s more like a persona. 
I agree that the "safe question" is a really good idea. "Please can I ask a question in French?" could be a phrase that�s up on the classroom wall, so that the pupil knows they are allowed to ask it if they need to.
 Why not keep a tally on the board of every time someone speaks French during the class (this includes you! even an accidental "ah oui" or "punaise" would be punished), and offer a reward to the whole class if the tally number is less than 10 (choose an appropriate target number - you can reduce it over the term)? The reward could be a video clip at the end of the lesson, a day with no homework, the chance to ask you one personal question - you know your class best, so choose something that motivates them. 

28 Jun 2021     

s.lefevre
Brazil

In my opinion, it is impossible to make students speak  a language that isn�t their�s during the whole class. I think that punishing them, pointing them out by standing in a corner, making them do push-ups is a terrible method. (Had any teacher done this to me, I would never have spoken that language again.)  Rewarding them with points, doesn�t seem fair either, as there are always shy students who would be in disadvantage. The only possibility, for me, has always been to give them lots of spoken exercices, group activities, pair-works etc. But one thing I have learnt during all these years, not everybody will leave school speaking English, or any other foreign language really well. Some will. 

28 Jun 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think it�s a hopeless task. You can exhort, have rules, give rewards, but if they all have the same first language, they will lapse into it from time to time. 

28 Jun 2021     

saloui
France

Thank you all for your replies that I find soooo intersting.

28 Jun 2021     

karagozian
France

Getting French students to speak only in English is a difficult goal to achieve. First of all, they do not all have the same level of language. They do not all have the same motivations or personality.

Expressing oneself in a language other than one�s own remains a perilous exercise, all the more so knowing that one is being watched by others and by the teacher.

I think that you have to start by questioning yourself. Offer them motivating and varied activities. Encourage them to speak up. Never punish so as not to upset them and block them. Use subjects that interests them.

Why not start learning a completely different language yourself. You will thus discover that even for you it is a difficult exercise. Then you might have a thought for your poor students. I did it. This is a fantastic experience.

Another experience. Taking an advanced course for English teachers. This was one of the most memorable experiences of my career. It was part of a European program. We were all English teachers of different nationalities. Italians, French, Spanish, Swiss etc. It was incredible to see how stressed out all these language teachers were, afraid of making mistakes, of speaking up and of feeling like a failure compared to the others.

So don�t get stuck on unattainable goals. Be caring and concerned about your students� feelings. Don�t corner them. They will thank you for it.

Retired Monique

29 Jun 2021     

jonemarsh12
United States

One of the most challenging fields of study to qualify for is the law. It is so huge that categorizing its various areas will not suffice. If one wants to pursue a law degree, he will be inundated with legal case studies and tasks. According to the lecturers� instructions within the stated dates, completing all of the [b][url=https://www.greatassignmenthelp.com/law-assignment-help/]Law Assignment Help[/url][/b] and duties is exceedingly challenging and time-consuming. There are numerous areas of law where legal assignment assistance is required. When you seek legal assignment assistance from us, you will receive 100 percent unique and appealing content that will pique your teachers� interest. We have a track record of giving our clients an A+ on their tasks. This helps you improve your academic grades and allows you to use our free revision services.

12 Jul 2021     

AlexFarrelly
Albania

Much obliged to you for sharing this spending plan and charge structure with the goal that understudies can settle on the choice broadly and must check their service that is grademiners legit to gain much knowledge about essay writing. They are sharing all the essential data and updates on the online sites. This incredible advance by them to help the understudies.

19 Aug 2021     

AlyssaPatterson
Australia

Useful guidance on how to make French students speak only in English. I know some of my students who also want to learn English and come at Secure Assignment Help - http://www.secureassignmenthelp.com/ for getting Australian assignment help. And I think given guidance is also helpful for them in future. Thus, I would like to recommend this post to them. Thanks.

21 Feb 2022     

1    2    Next >