Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Best meaning TOEFL question    

Best meaning TOEFL question

gportiglioti
Brazil

Best meaning TOEFL question

Hello, everybody. I would like to ask for some help concerning a question from a TOEFL exercise. This is the passage with the question:

Many adaptations are found in both feathers and wings. Feathers form the soft down of geese and ducks, the showy plumes of ostriches and egrets and the strong flight feathers of eagles and condors. Wings vary from the short, broad ones of chickens, which seldom fly, to the long, slim ones of albatrosses, which spend almost all their lives soaring on air currents. In penguins, wings have been modified into flippers and feathers into a waterproof covering. In kiwis, the wings are almost impossible to detect. 

The word showy in the passage is closest in meaning to:

a) Ornamental 
b) Powerful 
c) Pale 
d) Graceful 

The answer key says A is the correct one, but D sounds correct as well. What do you think?

30 Sep 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would choose just a). Showy is bright, colourful, something to look at, even show-off and ostentatious. Graceful is not showy at all. Having said that, I wasn�t aware that ostriches and egrets had showy feathers, I thought they were rather plain;-) Maybe it means big, flouncy feathers rather than colourful. Big and flouncy counts as showy. Now I am googling images of ostriches and egrets;-) 

30 Sep 2021     

bambook
France

To me, "showy" is close to "ornamental" as "on highly visible decorative display" wheras " graceful" would entail an additional qualitative judgement.

1 Oct 2021     

JavoAdderly
Argentina

"Showy" means "OSTENTATIOUS" , so "ornamental" is the option which best fits in here.

2 Oct 2021     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you for your help!!!

2 Oct 2021