Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching the plural noun of �s � to Saudi Arabian students    

Teaching the plural noun of �s � to Saudi Arabian students

ShobujMiah
Saudi Arabia

Teaching the plural noun of �s � to Saudi Arabian students

Hi all, I wanted some advice from your experiences about teaching the plural noun of �s� to Saudi Arabian students, especially when it comes to reading. I have found from experience that they tend to omit it a lot, it is as if though they don�t see it when they read it. I kept thinking to myself what could be the reason. After much thought, I came to the conclusion which could be a possible explanation, that in Arabic, they don�t have such a rule of just adding a letter to a singular noun to make it plural. One of their rules, which is in most cases, it�s a totally different word or what we might call an irregular plural noun like qalam (pen)/aqlaam (pens). Yes, they do have a regular rule like Mudarris (teacher)/Mudarrisseen (teachers), but still, it�s not the case of just adding a letter.

4 Feb 2022      

kwsp
United States

Hi! Some Chinese speakers do the same thing, they act like they don�t even see the s at the end of the plural noun. At first I told my students that they were skipping the s when they were reading. Finally I started making the ssss sound every time they omitted it. They must have gotten tired of me doing that, because they did finally learn to pronounce the s too.

As for the Chinese language, they can�t add an s on the end of Chinese characters to show that a word is plural so they use different characters for people or quantifiers for other things. 

6 Feb 2022     

ShobujMiah
Saudi Arabia

Nice to see similarities in other languages and common issues, thank you Kwsp.

8 Feb 2022