Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > IGCSE- any thoughts?    

IGCSE- any thoughts?

caritush
Argentina

IGCSE- any thoughts?

Hi everybody, I was just talking to a cousin who is in high school, she wanted me to give her advice on taking the IGCSE, but I barely heard about it. I�ve looked for sme info online and apparently it�s a series of exams about different content subjects (math, literature, history, science.....). There are about 7 or 8 of these and they are quite expensive.... for what I�ve read I can�t really see any practical uses or applications for such certification... At least here in Argentina, when a job position requires some level of english, the only exams (representative of a level of knowledge) they take into account are the FCE, CAE, TOEFL... or they just make yo take an english test  or have an interview in english.....

Then, for universities... here as long as you graduated high school, there isn�t really a fuss about grades nor qualifications in order to be accepted... you just pay the fee, or not, if it�s a public university. So really, an exam about high school subjects doesn�t make much sense.

So again.... is it really useful to take such exam???

PD: my cousin still has to take the prep courses, they�re part of the school syllabus... so she will be getting the knowldge, which is always useful... if she decides to take teh exam, she will only have to pay for it, the rest is up to the school....

16 Mar 2009      

wolfy
Chile

I took GCSE �s (I don �t know about the "I") back in England many years ago now. �As for the use. �This are the school exams for 16 year olds in the UK. �The next step was A levels then university. �I �m a good few years out of date though, maybe some one still in the UK can help.

17 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This is not my opinion but you may want to read this.

17 Mar 2009     

caritush
Argentina

thanks for the article... but form what i �ve read, it �s from the native �s pont of view, so to speak...... which from that perspective i see its worth.... my question is mainly about its relevance as an international certification, of the mastery of a foreign language so to speak

17 Mar 2009