Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

qismat
Pakistan

Help

Please guide what type of this phrase is. Hockey playing keeps healthy. Noun phrase, adjective phrase, gerund phrase

23 Feb 2023      

jannabanna
France

First of all it seems there is a word missing. I have put the objective personal pronoun in brackets because it could be “me, us, etc” - Hockey playing keeps (one) healthy.

Another example of this type of sentence is : Eating plenty of fruit is good for health. (Here the –‘ing’ form “eating” is the subject of the verb is and therefore acts like a noun.

Hope that answers your question.

24 Feb 2023     

Ture
Turkey

1. PLAYING HOCKEY  not hockey playing   like Playing football or playing video games.
2. KEEP  someone   doing someting    or KEEP SOMEONE ADJECTIVE ; therefore  Playing hockey keeps me /  us/  people/ one healthy.

25 Feb 2023     

qismat
Pakistan

Plz guide hockey playing keeps me healthy. "Hockey paying" in this sentence is what type of phrase?

25 Feb 2023     

spinney
United Kingdom

This would be a GERUND PHRASE. There are probably other ways of calling it, but I think that is the most common. 

26 Feb 2023