Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > People vs. Persons (+ interesting article)    

People vs. Persons (+ interesting article)

frenchfrog
France

People vs. Persons (+ interesting article)

I am correcting some tests and some of my students wrote "I have booked a table for 5 people" while others wrote "I have booked a table for 5 persons".

My question is: should I consider the second answer acceptable? It is probably not a big mistake, but I would like to have the opinions of native speakers!

I know that "persons" is to be found in formal and legal contexts (ex: This taxi is licensed to hold four persons). But it can also be used to emphasize that each member of a group is being considered as an individual (ex: Eight persons shared a single room). These examples are taken from the following article (a very interesting analysis!):

What would you advise me to do? Thanks for your help!

21 Mar 2009      

frenchfrog
France

LOL
What did you think of the article?

21 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

As an "authentic" speaker,  I like the sound of people better.  I wouldn �t mark it wrong - but I would suggest that "people � is a better option.

21 Mar 2009     

frenchfrog
France

LOL You really liked it when I spoke about authenticity, didn�t you?!! LOL
Thanks for your answer!

21 Mar 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

frenchfrog,

When I lived in the US, I used to see at the beginning of a carpool lane, a sign written "3 persons" and I �d wondered why...

21 Mar 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Frenchfrog, I �m not a native speaker but I �d say that we �re just splitting hairs her because I believe both are correct! Ciao

21 Mar 2009     

arkel
Ireland

I read the article and found it very interesting. I �ve put the page in my favourites. To me �persons � sounds archaic and I associate it with legal terminology. People sounds better in the situation you speak of frenchfrog:) Rosemary

21 Mar 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Thanks!

21 Mar 2009     

Portugal

French Frog,

�Persons� is definitely wrong. We shouldn�t consider this form correct.

�Persons" can�t be used except for in juridical and criminal contexts.

According to Burchfield, the plural form persons is slowly retreating, and people is now widely used in whatever circumstance we need the plural of person.

Have fun!

Hug

IJorge

21 Mar 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Thank you!

21 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

Sorry,
I disagree with IJorge.

You can use either people or persons as you desire--both are correct.  Definately do NOT mark your students wrong for it.

(native speaker)

21 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >