Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ESL - Games in LG Teaching - I ´ve read this article in SEETA. Great!!    

ESL - Games in LG Teaching - I ´ve read this article in SEETA. Great!!

marciadnr
Portugal

ESL - Games in LG Teaching - I ´ve read this article in SEETA. Great!!

The Use of L1 in English Teaching:

No clear guidelines

The situation today is that there are no clear guidelines on the use of the mother tongue (L1) in English lessons. Most teachers feel vaguely that use of the L1 should be minimalized, and feel guilty if they use it a lot, but if challenged find it difficult to say why.

For and against

Against the use of L1 is the general assumption that English should be learnt through English, like you learn your mother tongue. But the idea that the learner should learn English like a native speaker does, or try to ‘think in English’, is an inappropriate and unachievable aim. English is a world ‘lingua franca’, and what we should be aiming for today is to make our learners into speakers of their own language (Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, whatever) who are also fully competent speakers of English. And a dangerous side-effect of banishing L1 from the English classroom is the implication that somehow the learners’ mother tongue is inferior, or ‘doesn’t count’, thus discriminating against the learners’ linguistic identity as their own mother-tongue speakers.

The only really valid argument, in my opinion, in favour of minimizing (not banishing) L1 use is that over-use of L1 lessens the time available for English use in the classroom. Obviously we want our students to have maximum exposure to English in our lessons. But this means limiting L1 use, not banishing it altogether. Insisting on keeping to English even when students don’t understand what is being said may lead to the message ‘it doesn’t matter if you don’t understand’, or the morale-lowering assumption by learners ‘I don’t understand English’.

Where does that leave us?

My own general conclusion would be: use English as long as the students understand it well enough to get the message, and insist on their using it as long as they can get their message across. Otherwise, allow L1 use. Some purposes of L1 use might be: for explaining difficult grammar, for giving instructions which might not be understood in English, for checking comprehension, for saving time which can then be used for communicative work in English.

How do I decide when to use English and when to use L1?

It’s essentially a question of professional judgement. Many times during a lesson we need to ask ourselves: should I insist on English here, or should I use mother tongue? It’s necessarily a split-second decision. The answer will depend essentially on how easy or difficult the message will be to convey and understand in English.

L2 and then L1? No.

The ‘solution’ of saying things in English and then translating into L1, incidentally, is not a solution at all. Students learn very quickly that they don’t need to listen to the English as the mother-tongue version is coming up, and this strategy simply gets them used to ignoring the English. The decision as to which language to use in any specific case has to be made, you can’t sidestep it.

This is not to say there is no place for translation: I think there is, and maybe we’ll get on to discussing it during this week (see question below).

Conclusion:

There is no rule that you should ‘never’ use L1 in lessons; nor, on the other hand, is there any excuse for using L1 most of the time. Like many other teaching strategies, the use of L1 involves rapid on-your-feet decision-making: is it worth switching to L1 at this point? Or would it be better to stay with English?

Some possible further questions for discussion:

1. Can mother-tongue(s) be used in a multi-lingual classroom?
  2. When, if ever, can translation be useful in the English classroom?
  3. What is the place of L1 in explaining vocabulary?
  4. Is it useful to compare/contrast L1 and English?
  5. Can L1 help error-correction?
  6. Can/should L1 be used in classroom management?
Penny Ur

13 Apr 2009      

Naranjas
Russian Federation

Oh, thank you very much. At first I felt really guilty for not using English all the time. But then I came to almost the same conclusions... and it ´s soooo encouraging to find out somebody else feels the same!
By the way, sometimes I ask brighter pupils to translate my words in L1 and sometimes I ask those who don ´t listen attentively to translate - it helps them concentrate on the language and the task.Embarrassed

13 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Penny Ur is a master at communicative language teaching and her book Discussions that work should be well worn out on every teacher ´s bookshelf.

In conducting teacher training I say basically the same but condense it as follows:

If students don ´t understand then say it in a different way.

If they still don ´t understand then illustrate it with pictures, body language realia - anything.

If they still don ´t understand then translate.

I am not against translation but it should not be used as the first means of solving the problem.  Whilst some teachers will prefer translation as a quick means of resolving a difficult situation, this is what I call short term gain, for long term loss.

By using the second language as much as possible, the students may not understand at the beginning but this is short term loss for long term gain

13 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I agree with Logos - L1 is the last resort.  I draw on the bb a lot ,  but with weak learners, it ´s sometimes better to translate because they get frustrated more easily.

13 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have gotten in the habit of giving the instructions to the things in Spanish and then the rest of the class is in English. I find that it is better that they understand what the exercise is about first before demanding that the whole lesson be in English...

In fact, I totally agree with the article. Heaven knows that when I was in school, (I was put in Spanish school without knowing a word of the language) that I would have learned faster and more confidently if I actually knew what was being asked of me half the time - instead I struggled to understand the most basic concepts and found that my confidence waned quickly at times... and now, as an adult, I remember what that was like and just how frustrating it was for both me and the teachers.  So, I think it is better to "lose" a little to gain more later on, for students will learn just as quickly if they understand what they have to do...

13 Apr 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

According to my  teacher of Metholody, we should speak in English the whole period of class, as long as we can, using all the available resorces for making us understand. I quote him:  "Since  English is a foreign language in Argentina, there is not a community of English speakers so the exposure to the language is restricted. Moreover, learners ´ contact time with English is very limited: most secondary schools devote approximately three forty minute weekly periods to English, the exposure to the target language that a student gets is approximately that corresponding to 90 forty-minute classes taught during 35 weeks. This amounts to ... 60 clock hours that is to say 2 1/2 days!!. Taking into account student speaking time in a class of forty students, the amount of output produced by a learner is dismally low. " My conclusion is that we should speak in English the whole period, anticipate possible problems with the language so as not to waste time trying to explaining and feel frustrated, use all the resources ( flashcards, examples, TPR, etc) for explaining the topic or the grammar problem.
PAULA

13 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Paula and Logos, I agree with you 100%.
Speaking only L2 is a matter of planning. When I do have to resort to L1, it ´s because I was not well prepared and had not anticipated an understanding problem. Before starting a  lesson, I ask myself what vocabulary my students know and what they don ´t know and I plan my resources according to what they don ´t know.
Would it be easier to explain something quickly in L1 and then move to the activity? Yes but I ´d be missing a golden opportunity to teach instructions. I ´d rather take 15 to 20 minutes modeling the task and then ask my students to try it on their own.

They are used to listening to L2 and if a substitute teacher speak in L1 to them, they report that person to me.

13 Apr 2009     

Stelletta
Russian Federation

When I happen to be a substitute teacher and the students tend not to understand phrases like ´How are you? ´, ´Open your books at page 5, please ´ or ´What is this in English? ´, and then say their regular teacher speaks L1 to them, I feel ashamed of my colleague.

What ´s the use of learning a foreign language if you can ´t say your name and age or follow a simple command?

But these things happen now and then, and for me it has become a serious problem of ethics: should I pretend everything ´s all right and continue in L1? Or should I complain to my colleague when she comes, ´Oh, your students were so naughty to say you spoke L1 to them, hee-hee ´?
Anyway, the students will complain to their regular teacher that I have tortured them with English!

13 Apr 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

So great to get acquainted with your personal opinions and experiences!
 As far as my "experience(1 year)" is concerned I think whether to use L1 or not depends on several things:
- the age of the students
- the level of the students
- how many students there are in group and how often the classes happen
- if the task is new and complicated or already used and understandable by intuition
- how good is the teachers command of a language and skill of anticipating mistakes(what I really lack).
So, for example, if we take my case it ´s quite hard for me to "use only the vocabulary students know" because other people taught them and the textbooks changed since then. If I try to find and study those textbooks and find out all the topics they had...I won ´t have time to sleep at night. When I anticipate some mistakes I become overwhelmed with joy. Maybe after ten years of teaching I will be able to anticipate most...but I ´m not so sure, ´cause as far as I can see most of my collegues can ´t.
Ok-ok I know there are some BORN teachers...but we are speaking of an average one, aren ´t we?

And Yes, I always try again and again to speak English, and I have lots of posters with phrases which I refer to, and I draw, and bring flashcards, and show, and sing...but from time to time I still have to speak L1 or my students will get really frustrated and we´ll only lose time.

13 Apr 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

My conslusion is, as I have always defended, L1 use should really be the last resort, to be used exceptionally in particular if a complex grammar point is still unclear, or in the area of vocabulary
When it comes to instructions, however, I would never give them in L1
It just make things too easy and from my experience I have seen  so many adult learners  (here in France) with very poor of English after 10 or 12 years of learnng because, I think, they have always heavily relied on L1

13 Apr 2009     

marciadnr
Portugal

L1 can also be used in a very positive way to compary, distinguish or clarify a grammar point. Sometimes students understand thing clearer if they compare with use in their own language, for example the order of adjectives in >Portuguese can be before or after nouns but they have different meaning attached to suc use; whereas in English adjectives are mostly used in attributive position (unless it ´s with To Be).

13 Apr 2009