Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Half English - Half something else    

Half English - Half something else

Logos
Malaysia

Half English - Half something else

In reviewing the reported materials I have come across quite a few where some reviewers have commented that the contribution is not entirely English, or said it is in a foreign language. 

In many of the cases the worksheets are primarily English which have translation exercises in the tongue of the contributor.  Whilst I prefer not to do translation in my classes, this is still a valid exercise and even though something that has Serbo Croat translation exercises may be useless for someone in Brazil it may be useful for a teacher in Serbia or Croatia.

I accept there are some sheets which are entirely in the foreign language and may be predominantly in the foreign language and these should be deleted, but if the worksheet is primarily an English exercise why should it be deleted.  I may not need or use it, but someone from that language group would.

So, suppose we need to define exactly what we mean by an English resource.  Does it have to be entirely in English??

15 Apr 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

I quite agree with you.

In some cases translation is a means of studying English. It is so for technical careers. They work on translation all the time as that is what they need English for.

15 Apr 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

How can you see which worksheets have been reported? Is there a list somewhere?

15 Apr 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

On top of the page, below the search box, it says:

NEW!! As a user with more than 1000 points you can help us to remove copied contributions and non-ESL resources.
Click here to review reported contributions

15 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think that wss should be entirely in English but,  it �s okay to leave a spot/line/column for the kids to write the translation by themselves.   Having the kids do the translation helps you to evaluate how well they understood the new vocabulary etc.

15 Apr 2009