Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > MUST AND HAVE TO - I WOULD LIKE YOUR VIEWS    

MUST AND HAVE TO - I WOULD LIKE YOUR VIEWS

GIOVANNI
Canada

MUST AND HAVE TO - I WOULD LIKE YOUR VIEWS

I was always under the impression that when we put something on ourselves, we should use must.  eg.  I must study tomorrow.  I have an exam,  and when someone puts something on us we should use have to.  eg.  My husband says I have to buy some coffee.

I believe that must and have to are interchangable, but when?  Is it always or sometimes?   I understand must should be used as a deduction eg.  The lights are on, Tom must be home, and that in the past had is used.

As I have always gotten good advice from the members of this site, I would like your views on must and have to.

Thanks in advance.

15 Apr 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

It was discussed here:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4135

15 Apr 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

hi giovanni!

As far as I �m concerned MUST expresses moral or internal obligation, whereas HAVE TO is applied in the case of external obligation (ie concerning rules or regulations)
eg: I must work harder next time.
      Students have to wear their uniforms at school.
regards,
mamamima

15 Apr 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Giovanni,

Here is a link which will make it clearer. Try it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv127.shtml

Hugs,
Nebal

15 Apr 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thanks for the replies.  They have been helpful.  It �s just that in Canada we use have to in spoken English a lot more than must.  Thanks for the links,they were very informative.

15 Apr 2009