Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The old times    

The old times

isaserra
Portugal

The old times

Hello, everybody!

I �ve been a member from this wonderful site for a long time, since 2007 and I �ve seen many changes since then...

When I started being a member of this community, we uploaded worksheets and were approved or not and each time it was approved, we got 10 points... When ws were downloaded, we could vote according to what we thought about the ws (we voted from 1 to 10), we could get more points if people who downloaded the ws voted more than 6 (I �m not sure anymore)...The ws were always reviewed by someone (possibly it was Victor)...

After a while, the system changed... People uploaded ws and we could downloaded all the ws and give them points (from 1 to 10)... If they had a certain numbers of points they were kept in the system, if not they disappeared...

Some time later, this system appeared...
I have also seen how the first forum worked...
I �ve seen how the ws have improved
And unfortunately, I am seeing how people can judge other people �s work...and sometimes I feel sad about itUnhappy

The Bubba �s ws (named Daily Routines) that is now being voted to be removed or not was one of the first ws that downloaded from here...and now I see people accusing her of stealing...

I �m sorry for this long comment... But sometimes I miss the old system...
Does anyone remember how it was?

Hugs from Portugal

15 Apr 2009      

xanocas
Portugal

Hello!

I remember all that and I �m sick and tired of this WITCH HUNT.

If ESL printables goes on like this I don �t know if I want to keep on being a member anymore.

hugs & kisses

15 Apr 2009     

morganalin
Portugal

Hi, I remember it too, good times...

15 Apr 2009     

Helen McK
Ireland

Thanks for explaining that Isaserra; as a relatively new member [I registered in November 08] I was curious about the old system.  It sounds nice in the sense that only people who were prepared to work hard could benefit.  Now, so many people seem to expect to get everything from the site without contributing very much.  I find this attitude baffling in that this is supposed to be a "sharing" website. - Helen

15 Apr 2009     

meuge
Argentina

I remember it...
We even "fought", for call it a name , to have a place to write each other �s messages...we didn �t have the comments option at first...
Then we had the esldiscussion page... It was really great!!

15 Apr 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I remember, but what I remember most  is the good feeling I got whenever I signed in, and how everyone respected one another.  Nowadays, I don �t know what to expect when I sign in, sometimes it is  great and sometimes........???   Why not start a new page.  Let�s try not complaining tomorrow.  We might like it.

15 Apr 2009     

Nucha75
Portugal

I may confess that i am totally upset with all this situation and the "heavy" atmosphere that is in the air. We have to accept that you are not perfect and everytime we turn to this site is to find a material to save us time: no matter what kind of material anything can be suitable for our purposes... So what �s the use of claiming that our ss don �t have respect, tolerance and even lack of values if when we come across these attitudes/comments we face the same behaviour with adults. I think it is time to stop this conversation and shut our eyes and ears..What is wrong with making a simple wk consisting of small pics, what �s wrong with using a wk that you liked and them adpating to our class and showing it.... ? Simple i don �t understand that ....
 STOP BEING CHILDISH and thinking some are beter than others.Confused

16 Apr 2009     

marmachado
Portugal

I feel the same and I wrote the same point of view two days ago. Everyday we read a lot of unpleasant comments. It �s sad...
Don �t forget: this website is a space of sharing (resources and opinions). we must respect people �s work...
Be cool!
;0)

16 Apr 2009     

pmca
Portugal

The Bubba �s ws (named Daily Routines) that is now being voted to be removed or not was one of the first ws that downloaded from here...and now I see people accusing her of stealing...

I �m sorry, Isabel, but are you actually saying that it is OK to scan the pictures from a Portuguese textbook and copy the activities? That is why the worksheet has been reported, I believe...

I don �t have the book but someone has even identified the page it was taken from:
This is a copy of a well-known Portuguese Publisher - Edi��es ASA. The pictures as well as the activities were taken from the book that I own: Plug & Play 7, by J�lia Viana and Regina T. Clementino, Workbook, page 21.

But I have to agree that the mood around ESLPrintables has darkened lately and it is a shame that this is happening.

Paula

16 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

It is all very well being nostalgic and looking back to the �Good Old Days �.  I have been a member for over a year now and also recall the ESL Discussions site as a separate entity - it even remembered your birthday - Oh happy days.

But this site has had to evolve.  It has grown to hundreds of thousands of subscibers and even more contributions.  It has many new members, and so it is inevitible that it is going to get people who are cooperative and those who are seeking things entirely for  themselves.  There will be a hardcore of contributors who will be only too willing to help and give until it hurts and there will be a hardcore of contributors who will only take and mess the system around as much as possible.

All the recent changes and innovations have been a necessary process in the development of the site and as long as the majority of us try to keep a good atmosphere of cooperation and sharing then it will continue long into the future.

There will always be those who wish to upset the apple cart and will be forever disatisfied, so we deal with each situation as it comes and get on with doing what this site was meant to do - share and care for each other.

Sounds a bit soppy I know, but I happen to think it is true.

16 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

well said logos

16 Apr 2009