Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rewards, stickers, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters….    

Rewards, stickers, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters….

moravc
Czech Republic

Yes, stickers may be useful...
I wouldn �t report them...

On the other hand I can see why some people report them.
They feel jealous if a single picture with 1 sentence gets 100 points.
Well, this is really simple - find a cute picture copy-paste and write a few words...
A sticker can be completed within 2 minutes...

The most time consuming part is the internet browsing for appropriate picture...
But this is tricky, if we like the pic, let �s download it... It �s not easy to find the exactly same pic on the net and it is really hard to find A SET OF cute pictures - same design...

Some people here work hard to make their worksheets - one - two - three hours of writing, designing, reducing size, rewriting - simplifying texts...

I can see their point of view - why a 2 minute work should get more points than 2 hour work... In some cases it is REALLY obvious that the worksheet was REALLY hard to be made, complicated, completed with the biggest effort...

My opinion is : do not report stickers, but PREFFER the SETS of DIFFERENT stickers, where the uploader HAD PUT SOME EFFORT to finding several pictures and WRITING several sentences...

Sets of CUTE, well designed stickers or flashcards of the same style can be very useful...
SINGLE PICTURE or SINGLE sticker is SO MUCH useful...

In the case of ONE picture - I would recommend the uploader TO UPDATE the worksheet AND INCLUDE 2-3 short exercises - colouring, gap fill, short story + questions.
This can be completed within 15 minutes.
Or upload A SET of pictures / stickers...
AND NOONE CAN ACCUSE the WORKSHEET if there are SOME EXERCISES, poems, gap-fill etc...

THE MAIN ISSUE HERE IS we SHOULD PRAISE HARD-WORKING TEACHERS not the copy-pasters. We do not want to reward lazy people or thiefs who just copy-paste...

This website is FOR CREATIVE TEACHERS !
Read some books, use the ideas and make your own work. Put some effort into your worksheets - stickers - flashcards. Then it is just FINE :-D

Maybe a free section of pictures would do the job - if a single pic / flashcard is uploaded, it would go to free sections of pics, the uploader would not get any points for the copy-paste work, BUT THE NURSERY TEACHERS WOULD GET A CHANCE TO DOWNLOAD THOSE PICS THEY NEED :-))
What do you think about it ??

18 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

The rationale behind some worksheets which seem to be so simple and take five minutes to produce being downloaded 100 times and other worksheets which are elaborate and have taken hours to make and yet only having a handful of downloads is just a simple result of market forces.

People download things because they think it is useful and usefulness and effort of production are not necessarily compatible.  After all in real life, the simplest and least complicated inventions are usually the best.

I personally would not download these stickers, but that is my choice.  But obviously many teachers have downloaded them because they feel they could use them.

The comment about the site being for creative teachers is indeed an extremely subjective one.  One man �s grafitti is another man �s art.  just because a worksheet is elaborate and takes a long time to put together does not make it any more creative than the person who originated the smileySmile.

18 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree logos.

And Cameron, if you have ever worked for a boss that just provides critique and never gives praise, you would realize that not everything that sounds good in theory is 100% correct in life.  The problem with such theories is they are for the masses and people are individuals--every one has its own needs and motivators.  Look at the most successful teachers you know--they know and use most of the theories but turn around and completely do the opposite too.

Barbara-- yes I see stickers with one word useful as well (not particularly wonderful, but useful for some).

18 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

If you ask me, I would prefer a picture with 2 empty lines underneath it.  One for the new English word the pupil will write and the other with his L1 translation, to make sure he really understands what the picture is. 

Welcome back Douglas,  I see you survived -  obviously a sticker can have one word underneath it.  I was talking about flashcards which I think should come as a set and with an activity. 

18 Apr 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

I absolutely agree that stickers shouldn �t be removed, mena. For me they are an absolutly indispensable tool!

darryl_cameron: I don �t know with what age group you work with, but I work with little children and, believe me, they become really motivated if they know that they become a sticker if they get one correct answer in a game, for example. They try harder when doing the task. I really don �t see how this can have "a negative effect on learning in the longer term"! My experience tells me exactly the opposite!! Competition is also not always a bad thing! Students can learn to work together (if playing in a team) and learn to lose in a game. Of course sometimes they don �t Wink

eng789: I also agree that flashcards should come as a set, otherwise they don �t make sense and become random pictures. But I don �t totally agree that they should come with an activity, because flashcards are normally used to introduce/teach vocabulary on the board and not worksheets. I personally use them mostly to play games.

21 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2