Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching listening    

teaching listening

khaled69
Jordan

teaching listening

dear teachers from all over the world
id like to ask about what is the excellent way to teach listening
and if i can use my mother language in teaching grammer
regards
khaled69

21 Apr 2009      

maneluna
Portugal

of course you can!
I explain it in portuguese or they won �t understand the rules which are so important! the rest in english... they must understand the functioning so they may use it in the correct way, right?
greetings!!!!
here was a beautiful spring day...

21 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I rarely talk to my students in their first language and I teach grade 1 to 6. I use resource, gestures, visuals, sounds, intonations...
L1 is a very very last option for me.

21 Apr 2009     

Akanah
Spain

I �m with maneluna. The explanation should be given in your own language so kids can understand it. The rest in Englih.

Olga

21 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I wasn �t very good at my students native language - so I taught purely in english.  I think both ways have their strengths.  As a learner of spanish - I really needed somethings explained in english - or I never would have managed the day to day language I did develop!

21 Apr 2009     

najetnada
Tunisia

I don �t think that using Arabic helps sts to understand the listening passage but on the contrary because sts get used to that and they don �t try to understand. Here it �s forbidden to use Arabic. Frankly, I sometimes translate when I see that my sts misunderstand or get confused. Most of the time I use pictures, realia or I give some examples. After a 12 -year
 carreer, I am now convinced that it �s better to avoid using the mother tongue and we try to train them to listen  and speak only English. Try and you will see the positive result.
GOOD LUCK!

21 Apr 2009     

Akanah
Spain

ummmm, I still think teaching theory in your own language is better, it only takes a few minutes and you can be sure your students have understood the lesson. Of course, when talking about exercises, listenings, etc, using only English is better.

Night everybody!

Olga

22 Apr 2009     

mendiv
United States

I use both languages as much as possible for beginning students.  When their English starts to outgrow my Spanish, we switch.  I teach elementary school, so my students are still building the concepts of language.  We have to encourage the kids to continue with their native language in order for the second language to really sink in.

There �s my 2 cents!

Mendi

22 Apr 2009     

roneydirt
United States

I try to utilize both languages if it is purely vocal so they can follow along, but it all depends on what is being taught.

example using powerpoint Vocabulary
English with pictures toward the meaning of the word with the Native language of the student then a slide with the definition for higher level students.  Follow up with a vocab game using a variety of methods like "Translate into English", unscramble, fill in the blank with some with multiple choice others from memory, and the definition or picture.  I also randomly use the wrong word in the Native Language to see if the students are paying attention for extra team points.

Stories: Read the story in English ask question in English getting the answers and then have the student �s "translate" what is happening in the story in the Native Tongue.  Follow up with rereading in popcorn style of picking students reading a line or two with a question game following.

I do notice to much where we teach the word but not the concept of the word.  Basically the students act like Parrots and mimic the sound but fail to know what the word actually is.

22 Apr 2009