Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear teachers... HELP!!! (classroom manage)    

Dear teachers... HELP!!! (classroom manage)

miarish
Portugal

Dear teachers... HELP!!! (classroom manage)

I �ve just started as an English teacher. Before I was giving private classes.
But I really need your help, PLEASE!!! I have three classes with 20 - 22 students each with ages between 8 and 10 and I �m finding quite difficult to teach them... they don �t stay still, they don �t listen to me.... and I don �t know what else to do...
Can anyone give me tips?

Thank you very much in advanced,

Miarish

24 Apr 2009      

eng789
Israel

Download wss/ wordsearches / games that might interest .  Tell them - if they behave well and you finish teaching what you planned for that day without interruptions, then you will plan a game in English for the last 10 or 15 minutes of the lesson.   It usually works for me.
Good luck with teaching.

24 Apr 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Dear Miarish,
First of all cheer up! You are not alone!!! Untill you stand in front of a class you have no idea how hard it is ! I had a shock as well when I started (still am in shock.. ;) It sometimes takes only one kid to ruin an entire class. I suggest you read up on �class mangement �. Also on this site people posted tips and suggestions on how to manage a class. I know Victoria Barachman (I �m not sure that is her last name) has uploaded a sheet on it which is probably worth reading (I downloaded it but didn �t get to reading it yet...). You can look for it by author �s name.
I have found out that is is a good idea to be on the strict side rather than the permissive side and more than anything else to be very consistent.
I wish you lots of luck, It can be sooo hard, love, Marion

24 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

There was a GREAT discussion on teaching large classes and managing them, BUT it �s impossible to search for it now because members asking for help type only "help, i need help, help me, please" in the subject box without specifying the problem or writing the key words in the box at the bottom of the post ...
So i can �t HELP you now ... Unhappy If anyone gets lucky, send on the link, please.

24 Apr 2009     

stuartallen77
China

Divide the group into four teams. Give each team a colour. The students stay this colour until the end of term. If a student is good, listens in class, helps others and does their homework, then award points to that team. If they are naughty, the team loses points. This works very well with the age group you are having trouble with. If a student is naughty and loses points for the team, then their team mates will be angry with them, you effectively don �t have to punish!

Keep track of team points by making an attractive wall chart on A1 poster paper. It creates a real team feeling in my classroom and I have little or no discipline issues.

Another mistake I made as a new teacher was trying to be their friend instead of their teacher. Young learners need guidance and support in the classroom and will look to you for leadership. Kids will be kids and will naturally push to see their limits, if you are too soft, then the class atmosphere and learning environment will be ruined. If you shout and discipline too much, you will stop any kind of nice learning environment, too! Try to find a natural balance.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

24 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Ok, this one that Vickiii started was good.
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6912

24 Apr 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi miarish,

This post on the forum may also help you. Good Luck in your new teaching post

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=5873

24 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

mariamit, you deserve a Hug for this!
that �s the discussion i was looking for! and of course, it had the magic "help" in the title. how long did it take you? seriously? a lot longer that it would have if the key words had been included or the problem specified?

24 Apr 2009     

dragonfly2
Portugal

I completely agree with all Stuart said. His suggestions really work for students that age. I �ve been teaching for 11 years now and I usually teach older students. One year I was assigned several classes in that age group and for a while I had real trouble to make them listen. I used the colour and points system and it really worked.

I wish you all the best. If you need anything else, please feel free to PM me.

24 Apr 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

I understand how you feel! Please get the book The First Days of School by Harry Wong. It is fantastic. Also, you want to call parents and enlist the help of counselors. Try requiring a binder, that you will grade, for each child, and make them have a copy of your rules in it. Plus, put a large copy of the rules on your wall before a parent comes.

Good Luck! Big smile

Carla

24 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ stuart
Yes, the team point system works, but up to a point ...
The good side is that you teach the students to be cooperative and help each other, contribute to the welfare of the team. Though, it takes a lot of talking to the children, explaining, giving examples, and that takes a lot from your English class. I �m talking from my own experience.
On the other hand, there are cases when the child is just stubborn and says �so what? � What do you do then? Do you �punish � just him? Or still go with the team penalty? And how do you punish?
@barbara
I guess it �s just the way you put it that makes me have an image of the students sitting still and listening to the teacher and then, after performing one of the hardest tasks for them, being rewarded for it . Smile Of course, i know that �s not the case! Smile

What we should strive for is to turn the whole teaching process into a game. I just love it when i hear an �awww � coming from the students after the bell has rung. Don �t you?

24 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >