Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Plasticine    

Plasticine

sirah
Argentina

Plasticine

Hi everybody!! I have a doubt...do you know any other word (I mean a synonym) for the word plasticine? I refer to a synthetic material resembling clay but remaining soft; used as a substitute for clay or wax in modeling (especially in schools)
thanks in advance

24 Apr 2009      

eng789
Israel

There is FIMO  which can be baked to harden and is used for jewellry and sculpture.

24 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I forgot - PLAYDOUGH  it comes in round containers in many colours.

24 Apr 2009     

sirah
Argentina

thanks eng!! but is the word plasticine used in England or USA nowaday?

Patricia

24 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

In the USA I never used plasticine--I only know the word from the Beatles � song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

If it is playdough, them we also called it modeling clay--but mostly "playdough".

wikipedia says:

Plasticine, a brand of modelling clay, is a putty-like modelling material made from calcium salts, petroleum jelly and aliphatic acids. The name is a registered trademark of Flair Leisure Products plc.

24 Apr 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

i agree with playdough.. it �s the one i �ve seen most frequently.
kind regards to all :)

24 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, Sirah, I think people are speaking about two different materials.

Plasticine is a synthetic material resembling clay but remaining always soft;this means you can use it over and over again; it is  used as a substitute for clay or wax in modeling with little children.
Fimo is a little different because you can take it to the oven and you get a hard material, which can easily break, like any other thing made of china or any porcelain or similar ware.
I have my dice ( for the games ) made of Fimo and sometimes one of my students gets two of one. Fimo breaks, plastine doesn �t and can be reused.
The word plasticine is provided in " The Free Dictionary by Farlex "
Hope this helps

24 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

Plasticine   is oily and has an oily smell to it and will never dry out.   It usually comes in strips.
Plasticine 8 Colour Pack

It �s called     Play doh and is more like cookie dough and if left out it will dry up and become unusable.

24 Apr 2009     

sirah
Argentina

your information was very useful!!

have a great day!
Patricia

24 Apr 2009     

ariangie
Costa Rica

I agree with Douglas modelling clay

24 Apr 2009