Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Up for a challenge? :)    

Up for a challenge? :)

Lana.
Ireland

Up for a challenge? :)

Just to add some more exercise to your already super-inventive brains, here is a challenge for Teachers:

What and how much can you teach from Barack Obama �s Slogan

"YES, WE CAN!"

Who �s first?   Wink

30 Apr 2009      

mena22
Portugal

The power of positive thinking. Choose sth in your community that needs improvement - not all buildings have full access to disabled people, for example. Let �s make a difference. What can we do?

I �ve done this project with my younger students a few years ago. We visited lots of public facilities, wrote letters to the Mayor of the City hall, newpapers.... They were 13 years old but they made a difference. Some public buildings have better access now.

Have a nice day.
mena

P.S. I forgot to say this was part of a Comenius Project and the work was presented to the other countries in English.
I must leave for school now.

30 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Actually, I prefer the slogan written it this way: "Yes, weekend!"  Thumbs Up

30 Apr 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

That �s my slogan, with a slight change "you" instead of "we": �"yes you can"�

This is something I keep repeating to my adult learners, whatever the levels, and who, at the beginning, would very often complain that learning is really a difficult, if not an impossible, challenge for them, for several reasons.... As adults, they say, they have so many other preoccupations, which means less time for learning... Memory is a handicap for some.... add to that the reputation of the French as bad �at languages in general...

So I do keep repeating them �that they can �improve �and progress, provided they are motivated (which means they have to do the job of learning, study grammar, learn vocabulary, be spontaneous when it comes to speaking, practise as much as possible.... to mention but a few examples.
Teachers teach and learners learn
thank you LANA

30 Apr 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you for your replies, Teachers, you �ve broadened my view. Clap

Originally, I thought I could teach:

1. Pronoun "we" + "I", contrasting singular/plural
2. Modal verb "can"
3. "Yes", "No", "yeaah", "yey"
4. Punctuation: comma use, exclamation mark use to express more emotion
5. Always capitalise words at the beginning od the sentence (some students forget to do it)
6. Always finish sentence with a punctuation mark
7. Word order in English
8. Intonation when reading this
9. Transcription sounds for all three words
10. Short and snappy slogan to attract attention (advanced students)
11. Inverted commas use

Can �t come up with any more,
but it is itself an inspirational motto, truly,
I think I will make a poster of it and put on the wall for all to see. Smile

Mena, Brahim, thanks for useful ideas!

30 Apr 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I �m with Brahims. My slogan is also "yes, you can"
I like encouraging my students, especially those who have some difficulties so I tell them:"yes, you can", just keep trying and you �ll get your goal

I also use this slogan for myself.when I joined this great site only a few months ago I was really  amazed!. There were so many good worksheets and so many wonderful and nice teachers that  although I didn �t know much about computers, frames, clipart... I wanted to upload beautiful and useful worksheets so I said to myself:"Come on ,yes, you can".I �ve learned a lot of things from the tutorials on this site, I �ve read lovely stories ann I �ve had a lot of fun ,.too.I spend a lot of time in front of the computer trying to do my best now
I still have a long way before I can create such spectacular worksheets but I �ll keep trying becasue as Mena says, this slogan is the power of positive thinking and I am a very positive person.
  thanks Lana, Mena and Brahims

30 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Basically, it would mean this (to me):

I suggest watching the video, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEUE-wMQBv8

30 Apr 2009