Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Since when???    

Since when???

Mishuna
Argentina

Since when???

I regard you as great teachers...so let �s discuss something here...

Since when:

just colouring does not promote English learning?
finding differences does not promote English learning?
a chant does not promote English learning?
drawing does not promote any English learning?

I was just thinking...do you bear in mind that not all teachers here have old students?
Please, remember that there are lots of teachers who have 3 year-old students.

Another thing....what the h.... means "no interest"?
Interest is a subjective notion...what you might find interesting it might not be interesting for me...we are not supposed to report contributions just because they are not interesting...

30 Apr 2009      

cecio_13
Argentina

I completely agree with you Mishuna.�
Most of my students are very young... therefore I need so much those kind of worksheets...
Ceci

30 Apr 2009     

e_teacher
Chile

I totally agree with you, it �s not the same working with adults than working with kids, with five or six year old students you don �t do reading (they are just learning how to read) or complicated grammar exercises, with kids you have to draw, color, sing and some times make crafts such as puppets or others. We have to use all kinds of materials in our classes: cotton, wool, glue, painting and color paper.  

I don �t know if you don �t work with children you have no idea what it is like. So please don �t report contributions as useless I you have no clue. Probably it can be useless for you, but it can be very helpful for other teachers.

30 Apr 2009     

littlesara
Spain

I agree too. Teaching children, and especially very young ones ( age 3-6 ) is very diferent than teaching adults or older children, and therefore any materials one can use are very diferent too.
I think any of us who upload worksheets for this age group should always give a very clear description, or instructions. Maybe this could help to avoid misunderstandings.

I also think that working on first comprehension skills, and then speaking should come way before any writing or even reading done at this age and that any worksheets which can help achieve this are very useful, as well as hard to come across.

30 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes, I agree and many of us are complaining when we see things being reported when they are good for young kids.

Pretty soon the site isn �t going to have anything left for little ones if this keeps up - and that is just sad! English is not only text books and grammar - it �s also about having fun and learning through discovery, through songs, games, etc...  

30 Apr 2009     

susiebelle
United States

When you are teaching 3-4 or 5 year old children, You cannot simply stand in front of the class talking.  You must use visual aids.  These worksheets and flash cards  are extremely useful if the teacher uses them in the proper way.  This site must be available to provide resources for preschool, whose resources always use less written language and depend on the teacher �s verbal instruction of the visual aid. I think the problem at this site here is basically worksheets uploaded one-at-a -time are taking up too much space on the site.  As contributors, we should try to reduce the size of these worksheets and flashcards.   

30 Apr 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

I see things differently.It �s not a question of teaching kids.It �s a question of the subject you are teaching.If you are teaching painting or mathematics,you can use those wss;but if you are teaching the language,those wss should have an objective.We have to choose the best,the easiest,the most interesting and the least time consuming activity.

As a case in point,I once had to supervise a teacher whose kids spent half an hour colouring a ws.And when asked about the objective of her lesson,she named it "teaching colours".I called it a waste of time.Can �t we do it in a funnier,more light hearted and less time consuming way?

Have a nice day

30 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think that anything the promotes either speaking or writing in English - is ESL material.

It is so hard to even get the older ones to speak that using an interesting  picture sometimes works.

30 Apr 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I would say the only thing. I don �t report any worksheets because I don �t have time for that.
But I can see why somebody reports a single picture - the contributor hadn �t added any work of his own. He just copy-pasted one pic.
The aim of this website is COLLECTING VALUABLE sources of teaching...
Most of the active members are really creative, spend at least 1 hour creating their ws...
Cannot be compared with copy-paste work...
I am not talking about SETS of pictures, when the ws CONTAINS 20 pics or more on 2, 3 5, 10 PAGES... That is REALLY USEFUL.
But there is a minority of teachers who TRY TO GAIN AS MANY POINTS AS POSSIBLE for sharing AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
The reporting moderators try to teach those contributors TO SHARE MORE IN ONE FILE.
That "lesson" I find very appropriate.

What would you choose: Having 100 pics in 100 files or 100 pics in 5 files?
For me is more convenient the second option.
When there are 20 pics in one file the contributor hasn �t written anything, but at least he put quite an effort to COLLECT those pics and make a nice designed COLLECTION.
This I find VERY USEFUL.

There are thousands of pics on this web, how would it look in 2 years if we allowed single pics?
Nobody would find what s/he wants, because s/he would have to go through 500 pics about one topic... I would be absolutely happy, if I could read/watch much less worksheets with lovely SETS of PICTURES of the same design and topic...

LET�S START TO BE GENEROUS - SHARE MORE IN ONE FILE, PLEASE. YOU WILL GAIN MORE POINTS FOR YOUR GENEROSITY. TRY TO UPLOAD WS REACHING THE 300 kB limit or upload as POWERPOINT collection (500 kB limit).
Dear teachers, IF you know a good flashcard website, SHARE THE LINK WITH US, rather  than uploading 3 pics per file. Thank you !!!

30 Apr 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I have a couple of young students and, if I need a colouring page, I will easily find them in the web. There are lots and lots of sites offering free colouring sheets.  I believe that we need to focus on ESL materials here.  I agree that just a picture can be a valuable tool for promoting language development - but if we accept uploads with just a picture soon we will not have space for more useful wss.
With 3 year old students the best thing to do is use concrete materials, real objects that they can manipulate and experiment.

30 Apr 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

I wasn �t talking about colouring pages...of course I can get pictures on the net...
I was talking about SOME of the worksheets that are reported....that �s all.

30 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >