Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TO ALL TEACHERS WITH COLORING PAGES OR SIMILAR WORKSHEETS    

TO ALL TEACHERS WITH COLORING PAGES OR SIMILAR WORKSHEETS

Zora
Canada

TO ALL TEACHERS WITH COLORING PAGES OR SIMILAR WORKSHEETS

To all teachers with little ones, young learners or just have uploaded past times for us...

A lot of us moderators are trying to save such treasures and without YOUR help we can�t do it. So I am asking, begging, imploring you to:

Update your worksheets with something like this:

A) Adding an activity of some sort like - Colour the tree green. / Find the rabbits / Circle the flowers ... ANYTHING!!

B) A clear description of what the sheet is used for... (since many members that do not teach little ones seem to lack imagination at times!! )

C) Add a song to it or a chant that can be used with it in class. For example the picture is a tree.. well, you could add-: "Green tree, green tree, let �s play hide and see, in the green tree!" (Okay THAT was not great Embarrassed ... but you get my drift! )

Other moderators who have ideas... please feel free to speak out!!! Hug

30 Apr 2009      

moravc
Czech Republic

I don �t report any ws but I can understand why moderators do report single pic.
The reporting moderators try to teach those contributors TO SHARE MORE IN ONE FILE.
That "lesson" I find very appropriate.

Please update your old coloring / single pic worksheets as Zora advised.

DEAR TEACHERS,
IN THE FUTURE
PLEASE UPLOAD SETS OF PICTURES, MORE PAGES, PICTURE+ EXERCISE / chant etc... Thank you. PUT SOME effort to creating your ws. Do not just copy - paste. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

BE GENEROUS - SHARE MORE IN ONE FILE, PLEASE.
YOU WILL GAIN MORE POINTS FOR YOUR GENEROSITY.
TRY TO UPLOAD WS REACHING THE 300 kB limit or upload as POWERPOINT collection (500 kB limit).

USE free software for reducing size of pics and upload SETS of pics if possible. It takes 2 minutes to reduce the size with those programs and you can upload many pics in one file then...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Heart YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEBSITE A REAL TREASURE. Ying Yang

30 Apr 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

Thanks Zora for doing this...I �m always with you!!

30 Apr 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Clap
Great idea, Linda! I don �t have further suggestions but I do hope that teachers who have simple colouring sheets would add activities to their uploads to make them more constructive.

30 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Great idea, Linda, in fact it is a pity, because in some cases they are just pictures and people call them only clipart; may be those teachers with these colouring pages read your post. Hope so.

30 Apr 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi !

I teach young children but my youngest one are 6 years old. Nevertheless, I have a daughter who has just turned 5, so I have an idea of what do preschoolers need in order to learn a foreign language. Visuals! That �s rule Nr.1. Songs and poems, crafts, video tasks and TPR (total physical response) are also their favourites.
On the one hand, the site rules do not allow simple coloring pages to be uploaded. I agree and understand the reason. You can find plenty free on the net. On the other hand, many teachers do need ready-to-use Wss with details / instructions on how to use, what to teach, what to reinforce, what to elicit by using that visual. My daughter, for instance, would rather do activities than color a picture. She prefers exercises like: odd one out, draw a line from X to Y, matching, solve the maze, number the pictures, and so on. She would rather color three smaller pictures than a big one.
 So, what I am suggesting here is try to add instructions to your coloring pages, even if they come on the second page (the teacher �s page). A title is also very important. Exposure to the written form of the word is vital for developing reading skills (my kid knew all letters when she was 2 and now she can read and write). You could also add a challenging task for the preschooler besides the coloring one (circle the correct picture, draw a line..., match....) You could also add the poem/song/chant you use with your ss when teaching the certain topic. There are so many things you could do to improve your contributions. In the end, who are going to benefit from it if not our students? Isn�t that our goal as teachers?
Best regards,
Gabitza

30 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

zora - you have a big heart.  Older kids can use these pic too.  Talk about the relationship between mood and colour.  How do different colors make you feel?

A good teacher can create a ESL lesson with anything you throw at her.  You just need to use your imagination.

30 Apr 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Gabitza you are completely right! I have a daughter who is 4 years old and flashcards work perfectly on her! English is not a mother tongue for most of us and our children or students so they must have pictures in frond of them so as to understand the foreign language. Many times though teachers who teach the mother tongue use visuals for students to understand! So some good pictures with some good tips on how to use them it might be a treasure for sure!!!
Thanks, Nota!

30 Apr 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

My dear colleagues, I agree with you in everything you have said!!!

If teachers could follow your great suggestions, those beautiful sheets wold become even more useful thant they already are...

Lots of hugs

30 Apr 2009     

maayyaa
Slovenia

I totally agree with what you �ve written so far! This year I taught 6 year olds as well and I can relate to what Gabitza and Linda said. Especially with "would rather do activities than color a picture" as most of my young learners refused to colour pictures. We have coloured some when we learnt colours, but that was about it. They prefered listening and choosing the right picture, connecting and basically doing most activities that Gabitza described.

Keep up the good work!

30 Apr 2009