Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Looking for a Worksheet!    

Looking for a Worksheet!

kireya
Spain

Looking for a Worksheet!

Time ago (can�t remember how much time...) someone uploaded some comic strips about sea animals. They were really funny. Anyone know the name of the author? I want to include them in one of my lesssons but I can�t find them. Thanks in advance! 

By the way, if you have time... take a look at this!!

2 May 2009      

Vickiii
New Zealand

I agree Prescription teaching does kill creativity.
The teacher who tells a child their spelling is atrocious without looking at the content.
The teacher who tells a child their answer is wrong when doing maths.
The teacher who tells the child to �tell me later we don �t have time right now � and forgets to ask.
The teacher who gives explicit instruction in art so that everyone has something pretty to place on the wall.
The teacher who knows the answer when they ask the question - why bother asking if you know the answer??

I prefer to:
Have children read their stories to me so I can �really hear � their voice and praise their ideas.
Have spelling lessons - where the children know we are marking spelling not ideas.
ASk children how they got their answer and get them to share their process with other children.
Be in my classroom when the children arrive before school so I have time to hear abou their lives - because they are important to me.
Teach art techniques and then let the children experiment.  My art displays are extremely original with no two paintings looking the same!
If I know the answer I don �t bother asking - I ask children real questions where their are answers are valid. 
If I am testing knowledge I tell the children that is what we are testing.  Sometimes there is only right and wrong - children deserve the right to be informed of the difference between knowledge and opinion.
I admit my mistakes and when a child makes one I ask them what they have learnt from this.

2 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

While watching this man, Ken Robinson, he evoked a scene in my mind from Joyce �s Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, the very opening scene when little Stephen Dedalus makes up his own poem:
O, the wild rose blossoms
On the little green place,
Tralala lala,
Tralala tralaladdy ...
but then is made to apologise because if he didn�t, �the eagles would come and pull out his eyes �. His creativity wasn �t meant to flourish. It had to be nipped in the bud.

The same analogy can be found in my own experience. I tutor one-on-one 4 different pupils of 4 different ages and with 4 different teachers in 4 different state schools and every time they visit me i am appalled over and over again:
- at the quantity of information on the form and use of tenses and other grammar points and at the technical language absolutely inappropriate for a 9, 11, 12 and a 14-year-old;
- at the homework assigned for the students to do at home (grammar exercises, translation, copying a text, etc.)
- at the monotonous and robotic reading of a text aloud
- at the impossibility of the students to act out dialogues (it �s always their first time with me)

I literally start from scratch with them and try to teach them not only the English language, but also proper intonation (singing the language, rather than reading sentences word for word) and body language because the three go hand in hand in hand. Smile
The students are so uncomfortable with their bodies that it takes me quite a few lessons to just make them feel relaxed and to help them get rid of the embarrassment they feel when trying to act out a situation. They say "i can �t", I say "yes, you can", they say "no, i can �t", I say "you �ve never tried it before, how can you be so sure", they go "no, i can �t", i go "you won �t be able to, unless you try it", etc. It takes a LOT of persuading to just make them try but it pays off eventually.
But then, when they go to school (equipped with the aforementioned tools) to their own teachers, the teachers just "nail them down upon a rock" (W. Blake) and say:
"Stop messin �! What �s come over you? Read/speak as you �re supposed to!" i.e. like an emotionless robot.

... ahhh i could go on and on and on with this ... i get on fire when i talk about this ... and on?? smoke ... lol! just take a look at my avatar!!

2 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

As to creativity ... I ALWAYS try to plan my lessons in a way that would make my students THINK, which is an ability that is slowly becoming an endangered skill. Dying out.
As i said when i wrote about Photomic (photo story), the new technology is turning us into couch-potatoes, mouse-clickers and screen-starers, and it especially affects (infects) the younger generations whose active vocabulary does not exceed the amount of about a hundred words:
ok, yeah, cool, what �s up, cool, gang, cool, oh yeah, hot, sexy, give it to me, game over, roger, etc.

In my opinion, a lot of time is spent and effort made on creating a worksheet that would look smashing and appealing to the eye, both to the �buyers � and the �consumers �, but very little to ... killing more than one bird with one stone. Especially the thinking bird ... If you know what i mean... But i guess, the ws is just a tiny part of the whole teaching process that goes on in your classrooms. I keep forgetting that. Sorry.

Ahhh, i will stop rambling now and do sth else ...

2 May 2009     

jamie_s
Thailand

Sir Ken Robinson...........Legend! Clap

2 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Ivona I really love that post . I mean that in a most sincere way! I love the way you think! �It is refreshing. It �s it always nice to see someone trying to encourage us to be more creative in our approach. I have noticed that there are some in esl who encourage us all to be that way. But your post struck a chord with �me. Thank you so much for sharing your ideasClap
Caroline�

Ps..Ivona please oh please do not worry about the remarks passed to you in PMs. �Eventually it will be obvious that you DO wear your heart on your sleeve and that what what you say is NEVER meant to offend. �

3 May 2009