Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Reported ws again    

Reported ws again

serennablack
Portugal

Reported ws again

When I 1st joined the site it was really hard to get in as for your ws had to be rated by members before being accepted. It was a different system which depended on the opinion of people rather than the quality/ activities of the ws. Now, we have a system that allows anyone to upload anything, which I think is best, but that is more permissive and allowed the creation of moderators. I �m not agains �t moderators, but the fact is that some are really pushing the envelope. I find it really strange that ws are now being deleted based  merely on opinions. Who am I to judge? Yes, I know when something is not good enough, but the kind of judgement we are watching here is somewhat diffferent. People are going to the extreme. People will lose their time pinpointing clipart and resources that were online and used in ws, so they can be reported. Instead of teaching, preparing classes, creating new ws, they decided that it would be best to scorn every ws that is not that elaborate or that dosn �t present an immediate usefulness. We are all here to share things and as for myself to learn and get in contact with new resources and explore new directions in what concearns ESL, BUT what we are watching now is a "witch hunt" never seen before. People don �t care about if the ws might be useful or not, they only care about pinpointing ws. So, as far as I �m concearned, if you �re really worried about points being given to non esl ws or copied paste ws, I think it �s best to go back to the old system, where ws were scanned before they could be uploaded. This way we wouldn �t have created the situation which we are today which is deleting ws because they don �t abide some rules even if they could be useful for an ESL classroom. 

5 May 2009      

susiebelle
United States

Dear Serenna, 
I , along with the majority of the moderators, also have had some concerns that this Website �s Moderator system not turn into something negative.  Our goal is to see that the Moderator System remain something used for the benefit of ALL MEMBERS and teachers. 

But, as with all things,   there will always be a few of us who seem to abuse their authority.  Luckily, there is  a majority of level-headed, thinking, caring and sensitive moderators who, by majority rule, will make sure that the RIGHT thing gets done here. 

I also want to remind you that ANYONE can report a contribution.  Once a contribution gets reported, it goes to the moderator section of the website.  I have never seen any contribution get removed/deleted on a whim.  Most of us take this extremely seriously because we realize how much our decisions affect everyone.

5 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

My main question is this:

If someone has reported your upload, then what reason have they given?

Does the upload meet the standards that have been set?

If it has been reported (which ANY MEMBER, not just a �moderator � can do) because the sheet is just images from another site then what else have you added to it to make it �your own work �?

If there is an activity to go with the images then is it something ESL related?

Rather than just complaining about an item that has been reported why not look at the �why � of the report & see if you can improve it?

You haven �t seen everyone bleating about having things reported. Victor certainly didn �t, even when his �Halloween masks � were reported. He clarified some issues at the request of one of the �moderators � (Silke, I believe) but also said that he would abide by the voting decision.

I trust the moderators to follow the guidelines that Victor has provided. If the item in question doesn �t meet the requirements then it �s only right that it should be removed - as long as the same thing happens (eventually) to any other member �s work that also doesn �t meet the standards.

All members should be treated equally, without fear or favour!

5 May 2009     

marmachado
Portugal

Dear serennablack I agree with you.
In my opinion we must report stolen material and empty files.
best wishes

5 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

My dear serennablack,

I respect your point of you, but I think that you have missed something on the forum. You wrote:

"People will lose their time pinpointing clipart and resources that were online and used in ws, so they can be reported. Instead of teaching, preparing classes, creating new ws, "

Do you think that we are really losing their time by assuming the compromise with ESLprintables???

On may 7 Victor posted this thread:

"Help the sheriff cow!" is the title and he needs our help and is asking for it!!! And review all the answers: Lots of people agreed on helping him.

In my humble opinion, I think that members who do care this site, don �t "lose" their time reporting or voting. This is another task that being a member to this site implies!!!!

Note: you should also read this post:

5 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m going to repeat what I said on an earlier thread this morning: (well, my morning)

I vote using the guidelines provided on the sidebar on the page of the reported worksheets. It �s not important for me if the worksheet is useful or useless for me. I go with the rules given and in doubt, I don �t vote. 

5 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I would like to add that many of the regular contributors here on the forum for example with over 1000 points always leave their names after they comment. Myself being one of them. I think that if you put your name to something you write you are more considerate about what you write and are not hiding behind being anonymous.

You will also find that if someone has been rude about someone �s worksheet and has been judgemental (unfortunately there are some members here who do not have maybe the english skills to be polite and courteous- but they are very much in the minority, thank goodness)- there are often many members who will write a comment addressing that and asking  that people use the examples to vote yes or no and not to judge on what they think is useful or not. I too have been dismayed at some anonymous comments that have been out of line. Where I have seen this I have commented on it.

If you have had a worksheet reported it can be reported by ANYONE not just moderators. I personally never vote yes to remove unless I am 100% sure that it is copied or stolen (checked against a link) or that it matches one of the examples given by victor on the moderating page.
If I am in any doubt whatsoever I do not vote. All my comments will have my name at the end. I have no problem owning what I say. I always try to be helpful and I hope that as professionals others would have the same outlook.
Unfortunately there are sometimes so many that I cannot look at everything and I do not look everyday. I really can �t believe the size of the job that Victor was facing every day....the amount of stolen worksheets (vanda �s being a hot favourite) really blows your mind...

I do believe that the system will work out the niggles once everyone gets used to it. right now its a period of learning and adjustment and ironing out the wrinkles so that everyone understands what is accepted and what is not and that the grey areas are reduced.

5 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Cheezels, I agree with you 100%. I would only add that whoever reports a printable should also include his/her name.  It would be only fair!

And, dear Serenna, I don �t think your nice number cards will be removed. as a matter of fact I will download them now and use them today.

5 May 2009     

serennablack
Portugal

Well,  I certainly agree that people should not remain anonymously when reporting something. As for complaining, I think people have the right to do so, especially when we get confronted with things we don �t think are right. Yes, we all have to abide for the same rules, I �m not asking any favors for myself, but I think we have to start questioning if these rules are fair. Are we creating worksheets that help our own students or are we creating them because we want points? I created them thinking about the needs of my students and one of their needs was to recognize the numbers while coloring them. In doing so, a ws. was made. Obviously it wasn �t that elaborate, it is not suppose to be elaborate. It is suppose to meet the objective. If I thought my ws. didn �t meet the objectives of the site, I would certainly remove it. The fact is I think it did meet the objectives.
 In what concearns being active in the site, I agree that there are many people who are here with good intentions and that work hard to ensure that everything is running well. when I refered to people pinpointing ws. I �m talking about those teachers who seem to be more interested in that rather than doing their own job which is Teaching. Anyway, I think it is good that people talk about these type of situations, so that we can try to work out solutions and improve our own work.

5 May 2009