Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > 100 in English?    

100 in English?

manonski (f)
Canada

100 in English?

I have a question. Some sheets that have been reported sometimes have sections in other languages. Among the comments, members are saying that printables should be 100%. I do agree with this. Question is: where does it say that on the site? I �ve looked in the FAQ and the What �s this section and I did not see it.

If we �re going to vote on reported sheets, shouldn �t we do it according to rules?

11 May 2009      

MReyes
United States

yeah, i get your point.  that happen to me the last time.. they delete it from my account because they were in Spanish. i check the f.a.q., too, but i don �t say anything about that..

so they have to write that in there...

i understands you, manonski

-MReyes

11 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Here it is, manonski

We only accept ESL resources written in English language.

11 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Thanks Damielle,
I guess I was blind. Too close to bedtime I guess.

11 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

11 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Damielle and manonski that would include if the paper was totally or mostly written in a different language.  But then that would exclude low level worksheets, worksheets for first time viewing (introductions).  It can still be ESL, TESOL, ESOL....  and have the primary language of the student on it depending on how it is used.  Another example in powerpoint I add the primary language vocabulary word with the English counterpart and a picture related to what the chapter is using that vocabulary word to reach Cognitive Development using prior knowledge to teach the new material.

11 May 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

This issue I do not think is a matter of exact rules and regulations.  Whilst the exact letter of the law states contributions need to be in English, I do not think this totally rules out contributions that may have some translation exercises or even, as stated by roneydirt, instructions for low level users in a native language.

I personally will not use bi-lingual worksheets for my students, but that is just me.  I know some teachers like to �help � students with the words in their own language and some even do translation exercises to test their students � understanding.

This is a case of where the letter of the law says in English, but the spirit of the rule is that the worksheet should primarily be directed towards the study of English.  Putting in foreign translations limits the number of people who will download the worksheet but it may be very useful for another teacher who is from that particular language.  I would not download a worksheet with Spanish, Croation or Japanese translations or examples, but someone from these people groups may well find them useful.

So I think a little more commonsense is due in regard to condeming worksheets that may have some �foreign � content.  n �est pas!!!

11 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I believe that as long as the instructions are in both languages, it �s fine. Not everyone teaches the same way, nor does every student respond in the same way. We need to respect different teaching methods.

Besides, if the instructions are in English and the First language, we can just use the "wonderful" little delete button and remove what we don�t need or want... anyways, who doesn�t MODIFY the worksheets they download?? I have never, ever used a worksheet from here without adapting something - not even mine!! Sometimes, I have had to add or take away something because each group is slightly different in levels.

Sooo... I think that it �s fine as long as the description says it �s in both (that way people are warned beforehand that it is a dual language worksheet.) and that the instructions are both in English and the First language.

Regards

Linda

11 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Logos,
I �m like you, I never use mother tongue on my sheets and I agree that we have to use common sense. It �s difficult when it �s time to vote on already reported sheets. I thought there was some kind of consensus until yesterday when a bilingual sheet was suddenly an ESL resource to some members and not to others. Last week, a bilingual sheet was not an ESL resource for anyone. Why? I �m confused.

I just want to be fair when I vote. I don �t want to vote based on my opinions, I want to vote based on clear standarts. That �s all.

11 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi to you all!

I �m really confused too and I cannot vote on those worksheets until this situation is clarified, because, just like you, I  believe we must vote according to the established rules and not based on our personal opinions. That �s our job.

As I �ve commented earlier today on a reported worksheet, the place for discussion of what we believe is right or wrong, fair or unfair, useful or useless, whatever,  is here, on the forum, and never, on the reported contributions section.

I feel really upset when I see someone has voted based on their beliefs  - "I don �t agree, I think it [the rule] is unfair". We don �t have to act against our principles, in that case we  don �t have to vote and we can bring up the issue to the forum for discussion if we find it appropriate. Why is it so difficult for us to accept rules?

When we are correcting a national exam, for example, we must follow the criteria given by the Ministery of Education. Many times, mostly when the criteria for an answer is correct - incorrect, 10 points or 0 points, I feel it �s most unfair and, in my opinion, that answer would have let �s say 5 points. However, according to the established criteria at a national level, I must make a decision: 10 points or 0 points although I don �t agree. Later, if I find it relevant, I �ll write a report to the Department of Education with my personal opinion and the arguments that back it up. Isn �t that the same here?

I agree with you that worksheets do not have to be 100% English though these are the ones that I use in class. When a worksheet is 100% in another language there is no doubt about it. It should be removed.

But I saw yesterday, I think, some falshcards that were being voted for removal because they had the sentence in English and then, below the picture, in another language. I could not vote, because I could not find a rule that said that. It �s true like some people have pointed out that victor has written that all the material should be in English, but I �m not sure he had some specific situations in mind when he wrote that. That �s why I think we need to clarify this issue as soon as possible to avoid unfortunate misunderstandings and mistakes derived from a "selection" based on personal opinions and not on established rules.

Thank you for bringing up the issue.
Wish you all a nice day.
mena

11 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

If the worksheet/flashcard/whatever is editable so that the non English language can be removed, I certainly don�t have an issue with that. If it is instructions (without an English translation), asking for a sentence to be translated from another language into English, or non-English language as part of an image then I believe it is a problem & should be removed.

Clarity on this topic won�t help just the voters, but also the �normal� members!

11 May 2009     

1    2    Next >